Can the Cycle Hill tire changer be secured to wood or ?

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Anybody with experience with the Cycle Hill......
Seems like the Cycle Hill is secured to a hitch receiver or bolted to concrete. I am in a place for a while where I can do neither, but hate spending 100+ tomorrow to get 2 tires put on. I'd rather that become part of my investment in a Cycle Hill but I must change tires here now. Would it work to temporarily (one tire change) bolt the Cycle Hill to a couple 1/2" 5x8 sheets of plywood as a foundation? The "footprint" seems pretty small.

Thanks,
Jim

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Jim,

We have the Cycle Hill tire changer and the foot print is small. I would think if you mounted it to two 3/4" 4'X8' sheet of plywood and backed the bottom up with a piece of metal larger then the footprint that it would work for you. The bolts need to be the size of the holes also. I hope that helps you.

Mike

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I would say the best way would be to get the one that mounts in a hitch. Pick out a buddy over that has a truck with a hitch on it and invite him over for a few beers while you change your tire. When you're done you just put the changer away until next time. You don't have to buy or store the plywood. The problem with bolting it to boards is you either need to countersink the bolts or deal with a rocking platform or i guess you could do the change in the yard where the bolts will dig into the ground.

STOC #
Our No-Mar is mounted to two 4X4 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, sandwiched together by the bolts that go thru the base of the No-Mar. Works just fine!

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday
I have my Cycle Hill mounted to two 4x4 sheets of 5/8 inch plywood that are sandwiched together and, like Fred, it seems to work just fine. I do have to stand on the plywood (or otherwise anchor it in some way) to prevent it from spinning while I work the tire off the rim.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
No mar has a mount now that you drive your vehicle wheel onto... Problem solved (Available for both the Classic No-Mar and the Cycle Hill Changers @ $125)

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I have the Cycle Hill changer & since I have no room for it in my garage I used one 4' x 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood with four 1/2" carriage bolts up through the bottom of the plywood. I screwed 2by4 pieces around the perimeter of the plywood on the bottom to keep it from rocking on the carriage bolts. When I want to use the changer I put the plywood down & remove the pieces from the original box & assemble the changer. When done, I disassemble the changer, put the pieces back in the box & put the plywood against the garage until the next time.

Probably not the best or most elegant solution but it works for me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My Harbor Freight changer gets bolted to a piece of plywood which I stand on when in use. When done gets un bolted, plywood leans against wall, changer put in corner. Simple.

Top Bottom