Canon A95, CF Card or Computer Issue???

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I recently returned from a trip to NY and downloaded my pics yesterday to the computer. I had them sorted by name as always but noticed some thumbnail pictures out of sync with the others. I clicked on a few and discovered there was a different thumbnail versus the actual picture that showed:eek:.

I looked further and noticed everyone of the MVI or video files had the wrong thumbnail attached to it??? I just downloaded pics a week ago and no issues like this so it's definitely a new problem.

Has anyone here had a similar experience or how to fix this? I know some of you are very literate in the tech camera stuff. Would appreciate any advice. As always folks THANKS in advance for any help.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I had a similar problem, ended up being my memory card.

Memory cards are cheap now, may be worth a try.

YMMV

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I think I saw this once and I too blamed the memory card.

I did a fat32 low level format and it 'cured' the issue.
Well I think it was 'low level' I said 'no' to quick format when I right clicked on it for the format.

Mark

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I recently returned from a trip to NY and downloaded my pics yesterday to the computer. I had them sorted by name as always but noticed some thumbnail pictures out of sync with the others. I clicked on a few and discovered there was a different thumbnail versus the actual picture that showed:eek:.

I looked further and noticed everyone of the MVI or video files had the wrong thumbnail attached to it??? I just downloaded pics a week ago and no issues like this so it's definitely a new problem.

Has anyone here had a similar experience or how to fix this? I know some of you are very literate in the tech camera stuff. Would appreciate any advice. As always folks THANKS in advance for any help.

I just copied some of those same pics that had the wrong thumbnails and pasted them into my screensaver album and lo and behold they now have the right thumbnail attached to them...???? Do I have too many pics in a single folder??? Still not sure. Appreciate the advice though.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I just copied some of those same pics that had the wrong thumbnails and pasted them into my screensaver album and lo and behold they now have the right thumbnail attached to them...???? Do I have too many pics in a single folder??? Still not sure. Appreciate the advice though.
I just finished recopy and pasting the entire file into another folder. When I finished all thumbnails were with the right pics:cool: Oh well at least it's fixed for now.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I would still reformat the CF card. You can do this through the cameras interface or through a card reader in Windows, Mac OS or what ever you are using for an operating system on the computer.

I also agree that memory is getting cheap now. I have a Canon A80 (same as yours but a little older and just got an A640. Same as your but the new model. The only problem I ran into with the move is that the new one uses SD cards for memory rather than the old CF cards. I bought a 4GB SDHC card for $30 from New Egg. The new camera is a 10MP so my image sizes are anywhere from 4-7MB each. We had just bought a 2GB CF Card for our A-80 but it got left out in the rain and we didn't trust it for our trip to Germany so we ended up buying a new camera. The old one still works though.

Bike
'05 ST1300
I just finished recopy and pasting the entire file into another folder. When I finished all thumbnails were with the right pics:cool: Oh well at least it's fixed for now.

This sounds familiar; most likely an issue with the thumbnail cache slow to refresh, or failing to refresh at all... the fact that copying files to another directory updates the thumbnails properly would tend to indicate file integrity is intact.

More questions than answers at this point...

Could there be a permission issue on the original directory preventing the current user from updating the cache db? (try switching to a user account that has full Administrator privileges; then select refresh on the directory, and/or change permissions on the dir).

Are you using a photo management program (like Picasa, Adobe Photoshop Elements/CS, etc...) to handle importing and management of the photo albums/files?
These programs may have their own thumbnail/previewing cache and database that might require separate refresh actions.

If you import files having duplicate names to existing files (overwriting the original) the preview/thumbnail caches must be refreshed in the directory... this is likely where your problem arises. If you have an extremely large number of files in the directory, it may be slow to refresh; or if permissions prevent it (which could occur if other user accounts access the same directory), the db may not be properly updated.

Also, what OS is this... ie: Windoze-XP/Vista (or older versions), MacOSx, Linux, etc...? The refresh has changed somewhat between XP and Vista.

Hope this is helpful.

Whit
:biker:

Top Bottom