Carb bowl gaskets: what o-rings interchange?

In the past I have had good luck sourcing fine rubber o-rings for use in place of the ridiculously overpriced bowl gaskets on various bikes that use very simple bowl gaskets.

the ST1100 does, in fact have very simple bowl gaskets that could be replaced by fine o-rings. Before I spend a bunch of time on this issue, I thought I would ask if anyone has done the legwork to determine what size o-ring will work and also to source them.

If not, I will let everyone know when I figure it out myself. I will not be paying 90 bucks for four little rubber gaskets from Honda

yes, standard o-rings can work great. a little grease in the bowl gasket groove helps hold them in place as you re-assemble. I actually found some on ebay- 12 bucks shipped a set. from a seller called v4dreams or something like that. great deal

I buy mine at:

v4dreams.com

They are $12 including shipping. They come to you in a business envelope by USPS.

These are the round universal style o-ring. I stretch them out a little by hand and warm them up for ease of installation. I use spray tack on the ring, then set it in the bowl ring land using picks.

I buy mine at:

v4dreams.com

They are $12 including shipping. They come to you in a business envelope by USPS.

These are the round universal style o-ring. I stretch them out a little by hand and warm them up for ease of installation. I use spray tack on the ring, then set it in the bowl ring land using picks.

That is the same seller that I purchased from through ebay. The $12 o rings seem to be doing fine

Not to revive the dead but I used said bowl gaskets as well from ebay. Even messaged seller to confirm fitment. The only thing is you will need some type of tack or glue like substance to hold the o-rings in until mating to the carb bodies. I used VERY small drops of super glue in the bowl corners to tack it in. Tack would probably be a wiser choice but I didn't have any on hand at the time.

Not to revive the dead but I used said bowl gaskets as well from ebay. Even messaged seller to confirm fitment. The only thing is you will need some type of tack or glue like substance to hold the o-rings in until mating to the carb bodies. I used VERY small drops of super glue in the bowl corners to tack it in. Tack would probably be a wiser choice but I didn't have any on hand at the time.

something like this would probably work well, it dries to a stretchy rubber band type consistency like rubber cement. I've used it for decades for holding valve cover gaskets in place so they don't flop out when you turn the cover over to re-install.

1c0b37ab-23b0-40b6-9aa4-e2fa597d4640_1.472af0c1b22eafa2c0214c16733153b4.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are looking for o-rings, try the o-ring store (theoringstore.com). Unfortunately, while many are quite cheap, they will charge quite a bit for postage and handling. I try to buy a bunch at once to amortize said postage. No penalty for buying one or two of a given size (though some exotic material o-rings do have minimums)

Does one need the size of the o ring? Or search for ST1100?
This vendor sells nothing but o-rings. Kazillions of them in a variety of materials. They also have explanatory notes on each material and what solvents/liquids are best served by what o-ring material. The O-ring store could probably care less what the application is, as long as they make the sale, so no, they do not list o-rings by application. You need to know the diameter of the ring and the diameter of the 'rope' used in the o-ring. For example, 1mm x 40mm. I forget which gets listed first, and if the diameter is inside or outside, but either can be calculated once you have one. IIRC, when you look at the Honda fiches, the o-ring size is given.

Dave, the 1st link you posted as not working works for me. The not-so-good news is the set of 4 gaskets is $36 instead of the $12 for the generic O-rings, but they're the actual gaskets with the shape of the bowls instead of plain round O-rings so you know they'll fit properly.

If someone knows what diameter O-ring can be squashed into the bowl you can probably pick up standard O-rings for less than a buck a piece, but its a crapshoot getting them to fit if you guess wrong on the size.

Back
Top Bottom