carb drain hose circuit- second try

Bike
'91 ST1100
Hi,

I recently joined this forum as I recently purchased my first Honda ('91 ST1100). I'm a pretty good wrencher and from doing a look-through noticed something. I do have the Clymer shop manual and found the carb drain hose assembly was disconnected or became disconnected. I did see evidence of prior work around this area(jimmied screw/bolt heads, broken air box tab, etc.). I only say "was" disconnected because two of the four hoses are missing from the 4-way plastic fitting. The remaining 2 are still attached w/ clamps to the fitting. It is just hard to imagine the other two working off from this fitting given how long the necks are.

At any rate, are these hoses a must and should they be reattached? If so, can I get to them with just removing the rubber intake assembly? How difficult is the procedure? I have, at times, noticed a gas smell, but, not often. Could this be related?

Thanks

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Make sure you are dealing with the carb drain hoses and not the sync hose which are required.

The link below deals with the coolant system but does go into detail about how to get the carbs on and off. Have patients. If you pull the carbs, check the carb boots, if they are like rocks now is the time to replace them. they are readily available.

http://koczarski.com/ST1100/Carbs&Cooling/CarbsCooling.htm

OP
OP
Bike
'91 ST1100
Ok, Thanks for the help. Even though sounds a bit complicated I think I should give it a go as I have no idea as to the condition as to rest of the area,i.e. coolant hoses, boots, etc. The bike does have 52,000 miles on it.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My 1991 ST 1100 had about 30k on it when my hoses started to leak coolant. I am thinking that the bike sat for sometime which created the issues. Check for any coolant corrosion, leaks etc. while you are there. I want to say I spent about $150 in rubber parts, hoses, carb boots, anything that I could replace I did while I had it apart. This was my first big adventure into an ST.

You should sync the carbs when before you button it up. I decided to remove the PAIR system and leave it off as well.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Another note:

If you do the coolant system rent a coolant system tester from the local auto store. I got one at Advanced Auto parts. Also a small tube of silicon grease would be helpful for the Carb boots and maybe the coolant hoses. Use it sparingly.

Test the coolant system before you put the carbs on.

Bike
92 ST1100
Since removing carb bank to access other hoses, without a doubt replace the carb intake boots no matter what they may feel like. OEM for four is bought $40. Replace one at a time locating new one EXACTLY the same oreientation as the old one. Has to be correct in order to access the clamp screws. The clamps have a built-in stop, so tighten clamp screw till it stops on each one. Same goes for the upper clamps after carb bank is back on.;)

OP
OP
Bike
'91 ST1100
Just got back into town and read replies. All good suggestions will be starting the project next day or so.

Thank you all for your help. Might be asking again as it progresses.(?)

Top Bottom