Carb - name that tube???? or what does it connnect to

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Embarassingly i'm putting the ST bsck togerther after several months (don't ask - busy schedule!)

Can anyone confirm this tube does not connect to anything. This is a picture of it when I was pulling the carbs off.

You can see the tube ending in the retainer on the carb (see red arrow) - pic #1. Pic #2 i suspect is the other end and where it connects.

Any thoughts - does it just hang there in air as some kind of breather tube?

Thx,

Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Picture 1: yes that hose is supposed to be open
Picture 2: it's attached to the Purge Control Valve. According to my manual, during engine operation "the PCV opens so vapors stored in canister can be routed to the carburetors". The canister is, I assume, the charcoal canister that sits below the swing-arm and collects gas vapors during engine-off time.
I could be wrong, but that's my book is telling me. I've looked at that same hose on my '95 because it appeared to be flattened against the frame and/or airbox (it was ok).
Regards,
Mr. BR

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Thanks Mr. BR

I think that concludes it - I can't find any other place for it - just seems odd.

Solved:)

Paul

Weird, at EC spec models the carb case vent is connected to the intakes of the two PAIR pumps.
There is a hose that "T's" from both PAIR pumps and connects to that fitting just beside where that hose ends

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
There is a hose that "T's" from both PAIR pumps and connects to that fitting just beside where that hose ends
Yep, but shouldn't it be plugged when 'un-PAIRing' an engine, as it would feed unfiltered air into the Venturis?

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Picture 1: yes that hose is supposed to be open
Picture 2: it's attached to the Purge Control Valve. According to my manual, during engine operation "the PCV opens so vapors stored in canister can be routed to the carburetors". The canister is, I assume, the charcoal canister that sits below the swing-arm and collects gas vapors during engine-off time.
I could be wrong, but that's my book is telling me. I've looked at that same hose on my '95 because it appeared to be flattened against the frame and/or airbox (it was ok).
Regards,
Mr. BR

Edit: I re-read my post and I was WRONG about Picture 2 because I misread the schematic in my Clymer book.
Here’s the correct info:
Picture 2: that item is actually the EVAP CAV control valve. When the engine is running this opens and supplies fresh air to the carbs ( which need venting to atmospheric pressure); this is why the hose in picture 1 is open. When the engine is off, this valve closes and the vapors from the carbs are routed to the charcoal canister. This may be California specific feature…. Not sure.
Sorry for the mistake!
Mr. BR

Top Bottom