Carb problem ST1100 one cyl. dead at idle

Have not run the ST1100 at all this summer and when I started it up for fall riding I had a miss. Pulls fine and runs ok under load but not at steady throttle. I checked the carb sync as per the posts on this forum and carbs are pretty close. Have isolated the problem to the #1 cyl. Pulled the carbs out and the bowls were showing signs of sediment, etc. Not sure how involved I need to get from here on out? I am thinking of pulling the main & Pilot jets out and just blowing everything out with carb cleaner. Will that be enough? Do I need to check the diaphrams?? Runs good under load..

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Clean them up for sure; but, I can't tell if you checked to see if you had a spark on #1...

I'd check for that spark before I did much more...

OP
OP
Spark ok.. Pulled the carbs and found two of the pilot jets plugged! Bowls were also quite dirty. My friend swears it is from running Sta Bil as it really messes up carbs in warm weather (he runs a shop) In any case I have all cleaned up and am going back together. I wonder if there is an option for a better fuel filter than the stock Honda?? Mine must not be working that well and I change them yearly.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Just curious, how did you determine the problem is with cylinder #1 ???

If problem persists after re-installing carbs, I would swap plugs between cylinder #1 and #3 to see if the problem switches to cylinder #3 - logical troubleshooting, etc. Also curious why you didn't have a problem with two cylinders since two of the pilot jets were plugged. Which two pilots jets were plugged ??

BTW, at the beginning of the riding season, I drain all the gas out of the ST1100's tank ( that has Stabil in it ) and refill with fresh fuel. I burn the gas removed in the cages - doesn't seem to bother the cages since the "Stabiled" gas is diluted somewhat with the existing gas in the cage's tank. Keeping a full tank of gas in the tank over winter prevents the inside of the tank from rusting. And I run the bike with the fuel pump lead disconnected at the end of the season to empty the float bowls of fuel. When i pulled the carbs this spring to replace the needles & seats , the float bowls were empty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom