Carb removal

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'm assuming that your talking about the coolant elbows for your leeks. Those are very prone to leaking. There is an o-ring under each elbow that you need to replace. When you remove them, it will look like it was a gasket but its just a really squashed o-ring. Some older 1100's developed a crack in the elbows themselves so many people will recommend you change those too. Mine were not cracked on my '98 so just changing the o-rings fixed my leaks. I also had some leakage under the thermostat housing as well so you might take a glance there too. I've never flushed an engine but I think I would change the oil and filter with cheap Dino oil then run the engine awhile then change them again using the good stuff. This should clean out lots of goop. Somebody will probably chime in with a better approach. Don't forget to order new carb boots and flush your brakes and clutch.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If I recall correctly, have to remove the water pipe from the other end where it is attached to the top of the engine. This will then allow you to get to the bolt to remove that elbow. The down side it, all that stuff is under the PAIR.

Bike
ST1100A 2000
STOC #
Was able to pry it out with a side to side motion. New Oring ordered. Man what a rats nest in there...I can imagine the effort required on a 20 year old machine with 100K+....

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Marc,

If the oil has varnished everything you might want to check outside of a SeaFoam can.
There are directions for putting in the lower end and running the engine for a bit then changing out that oil.
The Seafoam 'dissolves' the varnish according to the website and the can's directions.

Bike
ST1100A 2000
STOC #
That's what I am used to doing. Wasn't sure if there would be any issue with the clutch, but looks like seafoam folks responded in an email to a member. Won't hurt. Thx

Bike
92 ST1100
Was able to pry it out with a side to side motion. New Oring ordered. Man what a rats nest in there...I can imagine the effort required on a 20 year old machine with 100K+....
Actually was a piece of cake on my 92 STead. Last spring, replaced the coolant elbows/o-rings and carb boots. I highly reccomend REPLACING the two head coolant elbows and DEFINITELY the carb boots using OEM(they ARE cheap!). Old boots may look good, but can almost guarentee they are pulling minute amouts of air by leaning out the intake and causing a mileage drop. Those boot clamps have tighening stops for a reason, and they will not re-tighten/seal a used carb boot, period. Don't know if that minor of an intake leak will lean mixture too much, but 40bucks is well worth not chancing ventilating a piston. New boots, back knowing its full of coolant, etc. WILL cause it to run smoother all rpm ranges, and your mileage WILL increase!........BTDallT;).

Top Bottom