carb removal

So I got the old girl running after my battery fiasco and I have a miss. #1 carb isn't getting fuel. I know this because I can spray starting fluid down the carb and the engine immediately smooth's out. Got good spark. Any ideas??? Is there an "easy " way to pull the carbs? Any ideas about cleaning the carb without pulling it all apart?? Tried revving it up and putting my hand over the carb . No luck.. Thanks... I've read several threads in this forum and most seem to be about putting the carbs back on. And something about a broom handle????

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Pulling the carbs off is a tricky affair made easier either with the aid of a broom stick or in my case a hockey stick. My mechanic suggested letting the bike run for about 15 minutes then the carb boots become softer and makes the removal process easier. Order new boots as yours are probably old and tired. Heat them with a hairdryer before installing the carbs back on the boots.
I would be tempted to run an injector cleaner through a couple of tanks of fuel or treat the fuel with sea foam first before delving into the carbs, sometimes that helps clean the jets so you won’t have to go to the trouble of taking the carbs off.
Also check the vacuum lines used for carb sync are capped. Sometimes that can be an issue

Top Bottom