Carb service "Light"

Bike
2005 ST1300A
While having pulled the carbs for cooling tubes I think it is warranted to perhaps check things out on the carbs.

Currently the bike runs well, If i nitpick (yes I'm that type) I do have about a +- 50 rpm at 1100 rpm idle which has always bothered me and I've wondered it it is a clogged slow jet or valve adjustment (perhaps). I have synched the carbs before and with merc sticks they were withing spec but a bit borderline could seam to get these perfect. If idling in first gear i'll get off driving roughness which i attribute to the rpm oscillation. Above 13/1400 rpm i don't think i can detect it. At 1500+ it appears flawless in smooth running. Bike is 94 always well maintained and cared for by previous meticulous owner and 42k on the clock.

Here's my plan but please let me know if i'm missing something easy i should look at as well, though i don't like to fix something that isn't broken hence the running description above.

1. Remove float bowls - clean - but i doubt i will find much
2. Unscrew slow jets - inspect clean holes with a monofilament
3. Pull float bowl seats - inspect tip for glazing
4. Remove pilot screw and blow out passage - not sure if pilot swrew is removable w/o surgury (thank you California CARB - hmmm isn't that ironic C.A.R.B and how they effect your carb and PAIR !!!).

I'm sure im missin something..........

THX

Paul

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Heres what all the bowls look like after 18yrs. Thes have never been removed before.

Regarding the slow jet. Some jets had 1 or 2 of the radial holes on the small tube that were less than fully clear - though some light through those ones. An easy push of 15lb monofilament easily took care of that.

There are two axial holes in the jet. Light can be see through the axis of the jet but - there is deviation from one jet to the other.

It is easy to push filament throught the bottom hole but the upper hole I'm not sure what size i should be able to get throuh it - i think it may not be complety a full circle hole.

Any idea the diameter of this hole - is it too small to push anything through.

Other advice on these jets.

THX

Paul

Attachments

Top Bottom