Carb storage question

Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Couple of days ago I got my carbs back from overhaul. They look spiffy and according to the guy that worked on them the main jets were about half way gunked up. That could have been the problem with getting over ~60 mph.
Due to crazy domestic schedule I won't be able to get them installed for at least a couple of weeks. And I want to replace the coolant hoses and elbows as well before I drop the carbs in.
So my question is can I leave the carbs "dry" as in they have been ultrasonically cleaned and bench balanced, or should I at the very least pour some gas in the bowls to maybe prevent the new seals, o-rings etc from drying up? Am I overthinking this? TIA

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Good question, did they fully drain them before shipping to you? or is there some residual?
If you fill with gas just make sure it's PURE gas no ethanol.
On the other hand a couple of weeks won't make much difference either way.
I would leave them dry.

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
Couple of days ago I got my carbs back from overhaul. They look spiffy and according to the guy that worked on them the main jets were about half way gunked up. That could have been the problem with getting over ~60 mph.
Due to crazy domestic schedule I won't be able to get them installed for at least a couple of weeks. And I want to replace the coolant hoses and elbows as well before I drop the carbs in.
So my question is can I leave the carbs "dry" as in they have been ultrasonically cleaned and bench balanced, or should I at the very least pour some gas in the bowls to maybe prevent the new seals, o-rings etc from drying up? Am I overthinking this? TIA
Newly cleaned carbs then leaving dry a few weeks is OK. Nows your chance If you are more on the OCD spectrum to consider checking the fuel level in the float bowls using the time honored clear tubing in the drains curled upwards (I haven't done this for ST but assume it's possible). Adjusting those levels is difficult and time consuming enough that it's rarely done properly. Most people eyeball and measure the float height from the carb housing but that's not a perfect method. You'll never have a perfect running machine if fuel levels are too high (rich) or too low (lean) in even one of the carbs. I'm talking OCD level stuff. Carbs are fairly tolerant of the levels being off but ideally they're all at spec and equal and that means adjusting with carbs off the bike.

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Great thanks! I'll leave them dry but TMF's suggestion is tempting.
I am having visions of perfectly aligned, in all 3 axis, carbs sitting on a granite plate with digital height gages measuring fuel levels to .0002"
Please stop me:biggrin:

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
Mine came back from a thorough cleaning and rebuild recently. I almost dropped them getting them out of the packaging and managed to break off 2 of the float drains. 2 bowls off eBay later I can say mine came back dry and I intend to leave it that way until the weather allows riding.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you have ever played with gasket material (making your own from a roll of the stuff) you know that this material stays pliable and usable for a matter of years. What is more likely to go bad in a carb would be diaphragms or o-rings, and both of those have a life of years, not weeks or months. Look at some of the 1100's owned by members of this website. Thirty years old, and still going strong. Most without oil leaks (o-rings and oil seals are made of similar materials). You have nothing to worry about letting the carbs sit on your shelf for even a few months.

Top Bottom