Cardo Packtalk Edge

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cardo has their newest comm device - the Packtalk Edge. Has anyone used it and is it a significant improvement over their other models? Most of the guys I ride with use Cardo, so Senna, for me, is not being considered.

Has anyone installed the speakers for a Cardo or Senna (I assume the speakers are similar) in their NeoTech 2 themselves?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I just got an Edge. Previously I had Sena SMH 10. It died (Kept shutting down without warning even when battery was fully charged). My Sena was 10 yrs or so old so it didn't owe me anything.
I haven't used the Edge much but this is what I found so far:
- sound quality (with the JBL speakers) is much better than Sena.
- pairing using the phone app is very easy.
- easily paired with a Sena SMH10 but needs to be paired as a phone.
- range was better than between 2 SMH 10's and connection quality seems much better
- pairing with Sena 30K did not work so well. Very poor quality sound but I think I didn't follow the protocol. ie. pair as a phone and then "import" the 30k into the DMC (mesh) system since the 30k also has a mesh technology.
I installed the Cardo speakers in my Neotec using the supplied spacers and it was no problem.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Last week I tried joining the group of regular riders in the local BMW club. We meet every Wednesday for a ride and since I now have the latest and greatest com device (should you doubt me, got to the Cardo website and read what they say...and read on :rofl1:) and this is why I bought it lets, join in. When the group leader (the admin to whom everyone pairs) tried adding my Edge to the several of Bolds in the group, it destroyed the group and he had to pair everyone else again. He said this had happened before so I offered to contact Cardo support. I explained the above and this is the verbatim reply I got:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Cardo support.
If you are trying to pair with an Edge, the Edge will have to be the group leader. It cannot join groups that are not Edge groups.

Kind regards,
Cardo support

I have to call them to find out if I simply have to be the leader or if I cannot join ANY non Edge groups. Oh, and why they did not put that in BOLD letters on their website?

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
The Edge can be in a group with Bolds and PackTalks, but an Edge has to be the group leader. Other Edges can join as long as an Edge is the group leader. Kind of sucks. I have both PackTalk and Bold and prefer the PackTalk. In my experience the older PT has a better range and far better battery life. No experience with the Edge, except for trying to add one to a group and the same thing happening to us that you explained. I agree that this should be in BOLD and on top maybe even in RED that it cannot join non-Edge led groups.

STOC #
Forum Members:

Hello. Has anyone migrated from a J&M JMCB-2003 with Elite Series speakers to a BlueTooth Cardo PackTalk Edge?
How would you compare or contrast the clarity & volume of the audio between the two systems?

I have enjoyed J&M's audio systems during the past two decades on my sport-touring and adventure touring motorcycles with Shoei Syncrotec and Multitec helmets. This afternoon I purchased a new Shoei Neotec 2 helmet and will have the Cardo PackTalk Edge installed on Wednesday.
(Btw, if you purchase the Cardo unit from Cycle Gear, they will install it for free!)

Since I am a solo rider, I use my communication system mostly for music & GPS navigation.
Currently, I wear 3M 1100 foam earplugs with my J&M unit and am very satisfied with the clarity and volume of the music.

I hope I don't regret trying the Cardo system and throwing away $360 that could go towards another known-good tethered J&M unit. I am purchasing another motorcycle this weekend and thought I would try a BlueTooth system to maintain a cleaner, uncluttered handlebar and less wiring under the fairing. One 'plus' with the PackTalk Edge is the ability to charge it while using it on the motorcycle.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I will provide a comparison of the two systems within a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Packtalk Edge Duo having migrated from wired intercom.

I have no experience with any other intercom - I was waiting until one came out that could allow communication between rider and Zumo satnav (hear instructions, play music) and allow communication between rider and pillion. Early intercoms would not do this. They needed to be dual channel.
The modern ones use BT and/or DMA Mesh communciation - which allows rider to rider / rider to group. So I have Mesh to Pillion and BT to satnav - which is also BT'd to phone. It does everything that I want and is very clear. I believe that Sena and Cardo produced similar version at around the same time. I also believe that the Mesah system is now compatible between the two brands - but I have no way to confirm this.

I don't use it for communicating with Hey Google or playing music from the phone or from spotify. I wanted it to take over from what I had with the wired Autocom.
ie - reliable connect first time communication with pillion, incoming phone calls from home if I am out by myself, outgoing phone calls if needed without removing helmet, hearing satnav instructions, answering phone calls, occasionally playing music from the Zumo mp3 player.

All of this is does exceedingly well. But you have to ignore the Edge instruction manual to a certain extent. That wants you to put the Edge at the centre of things - ie connect everything to the edge. The Zumo satnavs work best if they are at the centre of things.

The only niggle I have with it is that there is no side-tone. ie You cannot hear your own voice when talking - so there is now way to know that mic is picking up your voice. But I am getting used to that.

I wrote up some instructions for the way the way that I have set it up if you want those, I'll post them.
Oh - I have done that already - the pdf in post#1 in this link

(1) Edge Duo, XT, Phone, Rider/Pillion - Set-up and Working ! | Audio, Bluetooth, etc. | ST-Owners.com

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have the Freecom 2x, which shares the same JBL speakers with the Edge. I ride with foam earplugs in my Shoei RF1100 and the Mrs. uses hers with foam earplugs in her HJC. Sound quality is good.

Can't compare it to a wired setup though.

As for charge while riding, yes you can do it though the USBC connector, but you should easily get 10hours out of it (at least while new.)

I can run 2 devices off mine at the same time as well as my communication channel to the Mrs.

Attachments

Last edited:
STOC #
John & OBO,

Good morning and thank you for your very detailed replies & instructions. The Cardo appears to be an impressive system.

I learned via YouTube yesterday that the Cardo PackTalk Edge can connect to GoPro 12 camera. This eliminates a need for a GoPro mic since the GoPro can record video with audio from the Cardo PackTalk Edge's better quality mic.

The reported battery life of these units is impressive also.

Thanks again for your replies. I am looking forward to experiencing the BT system from Cardo.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom