CCS-100 install fails to work - thoughts, suggestions?

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi,
Today Rubberdarts and I installed my CCS-100 recently acquired from Murphskits.

Rob has done is own as well as Norm's (also bought from Murph's and installed 3 weeks ago).

Both work.

I got the relay because I have the LED Spoiler on my Honda Top Box and also some Hyper-Light flashing LED brake lights.

Pressing the ON button does nothing. The green light does not come on and the unit does not stay on.

From the troubleshooting sheet there is 12 VDC at the red wire.

The brown wire only has 12 VDC when holding the ON button. Releasing the ON button and it goes to 0 VDC>

Oddly, the brown button also goes to 12 VDC when pressing the OFF button.

Purple wire is fine at 12 VDC when front or back brake applied. This is true when connected to ground or when run through the relay.

Green and Yellow wires pass the close Open Circuit Switch tests but the Green wire fails the Closed Circuit Switch test (12 VDC when Set Coast is pressed and 0 VDC when Set/Coast is released)

Yellow passes the the Closed Circuit Switch test.

From the ST site here we found some info on the LED In the Servo. When pressing Set or Resume the LED stays on steady instead of blinking.

Wondering if anyone has any insights?

I've sent all of this to Murphs as well to see what they think might be wrong.

Thanks.

Bruce

This is how I wired my CC using two relays, see diagram. I also used multiple connectors in case the need arises to separate various components without cutting into the wiring harness.

Attachments

• AudiovoxCruiseControlDiagram.jpg
    AudiovoxCruiseControlDiagram.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 41
I think we should be checking the blue wire to ensure we are getting a read off the coil as we won't get a green light on if we have no rpm signal. Just trying to keep this thread active as well.

I got the relay because I have the LED Spoiler on my Honda Top Box and also some Hyper-Light flashing LED brake lights.

I have no active experience with the CCS-100.

But just wanted to point out and clarify that the brake light relay is only absolutely needed if you go full LED for brakelights. Having additional supplemental LED's will not require the relay. So if you want to bypass that for purposes of troubleshooting you can.

But just wanted to point out and clarify that the brake light relay is only absolutely needed if you go full LED for brakelights.

It's not just LED brake lights. I installed my CCS-100 without the relay and it worked fine for a few years. At some point the electrical conditions changed enough that the brake light circuit started to float a few hundredths of a volt above ground when the lights weren't on, and that's enough to keep the servo from engaging. One relay later, everything was fine. (I do have LED lighting on my top case, but the problem persisted with it disconnected.)

At any rate, adding the relay can't hurt.

--Mark

As long as it is wired correctly... if they never got the cruise to work after initial install.... just saying....

I think the fact that he can't get the unit to turn on properly points elsewhere. Mine turned on and off just fine while the brake line was floating; it just wouldn't engage.

--Mark

Thanks for the responses.
I'll be stripping it down tonight and will check the ground (Dinkie's thread - no ground, no work) and the blue wire.
Murph's also suggested to verify the position on dip switch 6.
Fingers crossed that it's an easy solution

The problem turned out to be a bad ground on the black wire coming from the control pad.
Get a green light now when pressing the on button. Should work just fine when I get it all buttoned back up.
Thanks for all your responses.
Bruce

Should work just fine when I get it all buttoned back up.

Quick non-rolling test: Start the bike, wait for it to come off fast idle, open the throttle to about 2,000 RPM and engage the cruise. If it revs the engine and immediately disengages, everything's good.

You may also want to pop the mirror housings on and take the bike for a short ride while it's still naked. I set my server to medium sensitivity and found the ride while engaged jerky enough that I switched it to high sensitivity. Saved having to strip down again.

--Mark

The problem turned out to be a bad ground on the black wire coming from the control pad.
Get a green light now when pressing the on button. Should work just fine when I get it all buttoned back up.
Thanks for all your responses.
Bruce

How'd it go Bruce? Curious minds want to know...
Joe

Quick non-rolling test: Start the bike, wait for it to come off fast idle, open the throttle to about 2,000 RPM and engage the cruise. If it revs the engine and immediately disengages, everything's good.

--Mark

Nice Tip, Mark. Did exactly what it was supposed to - rev'd then disengaged.

How'd it go Bruce? Curious minds want to know...
Joe

Hi Joe,

Seemed to go OK.

With Mark's Tip above, and all of Dinkie's LED checks, everything seems to be in order.

With all the rain tonight I wasn't about to go out for a test ride.

So it's all put together and I'll give it a test tomorrow. If everything seems fine my weekend plans are for a SaddleSore 2000 mile ride.

May still have to try some tweaks. Since I have a Stebel Air Horn in the right side speaker hole the cannister got mounted down below. And the wiring on the left side could get cleaned up some to make things less cramped. Bit of a bear getting the tupperware on so may have to see if I can rearrange things. But that will have to wait for some other time.

For now, it's all ready to ride.

Bruce

Quick jaunt up Manning towards Fort Saskatchewan this morning and it seemed to perform well. Both brakes shut it off. Resume seems to function.
Seemed to hold the set speed.
Next two days will test it a lot.

Quick jaunt up Manning towards Fort Saskatchewan this morning and it seemed to perform well. Both brakes shut it off. Resume seems to function.
Seemed to hold the set speed.
Next two days will test it a lot.

And? Just curious as I am about to embark on this venture :)

And? Just curious as I am about to embark on this venture :)

Absolutely thrilled with it.

My two day test was an Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 2000 miles in under 48 hours ride.

I rarely use the cruise in my autos but cruise on the bike seems to be most welcome. Constant speed, easier on the right wrist, and my fuel consumption may have been better than on other rides because of this. Or it may have just been less windy.

Anyhow, the cruise worked terrifically.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom