CCS-100 Install WARNING!!!

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Hey guys - don't wanna be alarmist here, but the unthinkable happened to me this evening and I'd hate to see anyone else have to go through this one...

Remember that nut that's over the throttle drum? It's painted white and the service manual says don't touch it. Be very careful putting it back on. It turns out that the nut is much harder than the stud that it threads onto. That stud is much softer than I had expected, and even though I was holding my wrench at the bottom, close to the nut, I managed to strip the last few threads off of it.

I was able to get it back on without the bracket, so I'm just going to find another way. My current plan is to try to use the wire loops. This will require a slight modification to the barrel at the end of the cable. I'll keep y'all posted!

OP
OP

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Alright, so here's some detail on the alternative... I actually tried to do it this way first, but when I found that I would have to make a mod to the throttle cable, I decided to try adding the bracket.

The problem with the bracket method is when you slip that bracket over the throtte drum bolt, it can't go flat against the drum because the drum is dished. Because of this, there are only a few threads available for the nut to grab. You have to leave the nut fairly loose and put a ton of thread-lock on (Ray's instructions do tell you to use thread-lock liberally).

Anyhow, the Audiovox instructions give about a dozen ways to attach the servo cable. The one that looked the most promising to me both before stripping the bold and now is using one of the cable loops provided and putting it around the barrel at the end of the top throttle cable.

The reason this didn't work for me yesterday is that the groove in the throttle drum is too shallow and doesn't allow enough clearance for an extra strand of cable under the barrel. To fix this, I am going to make two mods to that barrel;
  1. file a flat on the side of the barrel opposite where the cable enters the barrel.
  2. file a groove around the circumference of the barrel - parallel to the groove in the throttle drum.

The flat spot will allow the barrel to be inserted while the extra loop of cable is in place, and the groove should allow the barrel to move freely once it is in place. I won't get to try this until Sunday afternoon unfortunately. If you guys in TX try it today, please let me know how it works out. Also, note the word "file" and the absence of the word "dremel". That throttle cable end is made from lead - a very soft metal, as you know. I would be very leery of using a power tool on it, especially when a file should take care of the job in twenty strokes or less.

Good luck with your installs today!

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Dan, I spent a lot of time trying to go that route but gave it up as I didn't want to modify anything. Please detail it with some pictures if you get that method to work. It would be nice not having to deal with the nut on that shaft.

Ray

OP
OP

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
I have seen 4 CCs-100's installed now and have seen no trouble wih the nut over the throttle drum. So I am curious, was the CC bracket modified with the two bends to give the offset? I wonder because the bolt was flush with the nut after installing the bracket. Applied lock tite as well.

Greg

OP
OP

CrashTestDanny

formerly known as danf
Bike
2005 ST-1300
STOC #
Txrebel said:
I have seen 4 CCs-100's installed now and have seen no trouble wih the nut over the throttle drum. So I am curious, was the CC bracket modified with the two bends to give the offset? I wonder because the bolt was flush with the nut after installing the bracket. Applied lock tite as well.
No, it wasn't... You know, I read those instructions and followed them, but never noticed that the bracket in the picture was bent... This might have been my trouble... However, I do prefer the cable modification I came up with as it doesn't require removing that nut.

Ray, you should probably mention the offset of the bracket in the text of your instructions for all the '06 buyers who will want cruise control... :)

Dan

Top Bottom