change the alternator on a '02 ST without removing rear wheel/swing arm?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I know the alternator on the older models requires a buttectomy to change out. Clearance between the cap of the alternator and swing arm isn't sufficient without removal. I suspect since the later model alternator (yours) is about the same overall length that you are in for the whole task as well.
It's an opportunity disguised as hard work. Clean, lube and inspect things you can't otherwise access.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Oh yeah, you can avoid all that by simply dropping the motor.
Your bike looks nice in the avatar. Could you post a picture?
Also if you go in the back way, study the YouTube video showing how to snake the alternator into position.

Hi V4potatohead,
I did this some years ago and might be able to find the info. Originally the split driven gear had to be pinned after removing the sump, but I found a different way that was simpler.
I'll have a search but it was when I was on my-mc-phonix and it's predecessor before that, donkey years ago.
BTW I was registered on this forum as lancepar but the "management" couldn't find me.
:cool:

Update.
Back in 2008 when I did mine I can't remember if I removed the back end. However I have found the instructions for replacing the alternator, but they are MSoffice and also LibreOffice which I don't think are supported on this forum.
:cool:

Top Bottom