Changing brake fluid on ST1300A

Hi, I need to know how to change the brake fluid on my ST1300A, 2008 model, ABS linked brakes. Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Trevor:

Welcome to our forum community.

The forum has subsections dealing with various ST 1300 technical subjects, as well as an "Articles" subforum that contains the 'best of the best' how-to posts. You can access the forum directory by clicking on the word "Forums"" in the upper left of the screen, just to the right of the "Home" button.

Here are direct links to the above-mentioned subforums:

Forum Directory (top level)

ST 1300 Technical Subjects

ST 1300 Articles

The information you are seeking would most likely be found in the 'Technical Subjects' (under the sub-heading 'Brakes') or in the 'Articles' sub-forum.

Once again - welcome!

Michael

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to the site, Trevor! As Michael pointed out, the ST 1300 Articles sections has what you're looking for regarding your brake service. If not, come back and ask again; I'm sure those with sound advice will chime in!

Sheriff

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome! I have a pdf tutorial to share that was written as a technical article for flushing and bleeding the ST1300 brake and clutch. When my ST1300 was new to me it was very helpful to me to see the procedure laid out step by step with pictures and locations of bleeders along with text commentary and a materials and needed tool list. The ST1300 flush and bleed isn't difficult but it has a particular sequence that must be followed.

It's a large file and can't be sent as a PM attachment in the forum. If you want a copy of this tutorial send me an email address to receive it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard, Trevor. Another option is find a fellow ST owner in your neck of the woods and ask him to help you when working on the bike. I was going to suggest you go to the blue band at the top of this page Riding > RAN list, but there is no option for Down Under. Maybe you can sign up and start one for your country. RAN = Rider Assistance Network - it lists names and numbers to call for help when you need it.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...Another option is find a fellow ST owner in your neck of the woods and ask him to help you when working on the bike. I was going to suggest you go to the blue band at the top of this page Riding > RAN list, but there is no option for Down Under.
Hi Again Trevor:

There is an Australia-specific ST forum, at this link: OzSTOC. It appears to be more of a social community than a technical discussion community, but if you go and give it a browse, you might find a fellow ST 1300 owner near your location who can give you guidance.

Michael

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

Flushing and replacing the fluid would hopefully not introduce any air into the system. But hope is one thing and experience is another.

This article is more to do with chasing the air out of the system but it describes the sequence in which things should be done and has some pretty coloured diagrams to show which part of the circuit is affected when bleeding particular valves. The ABS pumps are not included in the diagrams. The procedure is exactly the same whether the bike has ABS or not.

Download the attached pdf file in post#1.

Top Bottom