Chatterbox FRS-X2 Install

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I know the mods will move this, but I just wanted to get your attention...

I bought a Chatterbox FRS-X2 yesterday and had a heck of a time installing it on my helmet. By the time I got done I was so fustrated I wondered why I even bought it in the first place. I have a modular helmet and bought the open-face version of the radio. What a hassle! First I couldn't get the radio's clip bracket on the side of the helmet. I had to cut a piece out of the helmet's bottom plastic collar, then I found I didn't need to do that as the flip-up part of the helmet got in the way of bracket. So I had to move it back a few. Then after getting the bracket on it and clipping on the radio and putting it on my head it felt like I had a ton of weight on the left side and I just know that will be terribly uncomfortable when riding any sort of distance. Not mention the radio's weight made it droop over, so I installed some velcro to keep it upright against the side of the helmet. Geez! This is getting tough! Not mention that speakers and boom microphone wires (three of them) are hanging out like some sort fighter pilot's helmet. It looks silly! Why Chatterbox couldn't just make all these cables into one is beyond me!

So there I am looking at this mess and wondering how in heck could I do this better? Then it hits me... RAM-MOUNT! Yep! I have one of those RAM-Mount large cell phone squeeze-together-sides thingy for my GPS/PDA and it fitted my Chatterbox perfectly! Yippy! I can mount it to my handlebar instead of the side of my helmet! Then I tested it out. VOX is super sensistive! You have to adjust it just right! I tried the cell-phone connection and it worked. I tried the MP3 player connection and it worked, great in fact. Loud! Nice! Then I tried the FRS radio communication and that worked pretty good! Wife helped with all these experiments. She's a trooper, I tell you! So far looking good!

Now to have the Chatterbox on my handlebar I have to get a helmet extension wire. So I go back to the local motorcycle dealer (Motorpro... When will I ever learn!) and asked for one and the dude said this one will work. Well it doesn't. It seems the model radio I bought is a noise-reducing version and you have to buy the noise-reducing extenstion. Of course the dude sold me the wrong one. So I have to take that back. So I ordered the correct one from the Net. Wow! Was up to midnight last night trying to figure this all out as I am as lame to mechanical fixin' uppin' as can be. But I got it up and running.

I also bought the radio's 12 volt power connector for the bike that is suppose to connect directly to the bike's battery, but it requires a in-line fuse! Why Chatterbox didn't include that... blah blah blah... You know the rest. So I also ordered a accessory fuse box from the Net. Now I'm hoping some of you more talented guys near me will offer to help me install it! Hint hint hint! Lunch would be included of course! And my intensely fun company. Can't beat that with a stick!

So there's the saga of the Chatterbox install. Whew! :eek::rolleyes::D

Oh BTW... Here is the link to the great online store for Chatterbox stuff. I talked to the guy and was very nice and helpful and informative as is his site about Chatterbox stuff.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/

Last edited:

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Congrats on your purchase, Fred. Locating the Chatterbox on the handlebars is probably much better than the helmet. I used to have one of the original non-FRS Chatterbox units, and had lots of trouble with it. I just ordered a Tekk GMRS radio to attach to the Autocom unit I bought from Don. I also picked up an MP3 player and loaded it up with 1.5GB of music a couple of days ago. If we ever manage to do a ride together (when it cools down!), we'll be able to communicate. How cool is that?

Rick

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Artcwolf said:
GMRS can communicate on FRS channels but not vice versa.

Chatterbox has a lot to be desired. I went that same route...have the X1 now. Battery life on the radio is going to be limited, the unit is NOT waterproof so you better have a baggie over it if it rains (or throw it in your tank bag or side pocket), the VOX is useless over 65 or 70 mph so take the PTT button that velcro's to your grip with you, and the way it handles external audio is so-so (gps, etc).

I cannot understand why a unit that costs what the X1 does has so many flaws. It would seem, at minimum, that a unit designed to be attached and operated in the wide open air on a motorcycle WOULD BE WATERPROOF! You can get around the battery life by purchasing the filter power adaptor and run it off the bikes power. Purchase a powerlet plug for it and now you can just plug it in when you need it. There's nothing you can do about that sorry audio and VOX system.

I really am not happy with the Chatterbox...just to let you know. LOL

I think there's an Autocom system in our future somewhere.
Good description Artc... I just got it and haven't even tried it on the bike yet. That will certainly decide if it is heading towards the eBay graveyard.

A Powerlet plug!? Which one? I have a Powerlet outlet already installed on the left fairing. I would be very interested in that! Tell me more!

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Thanks to Artcwolf for inspiring me to do a search on the Net for installing wires into a Powerlet plug! I found this great website of a guy (Jim Davis) in Japan who creates custom Powerlet plugs and has a wonderful tutorial that shows step by step on how to wire a Deluxe Powerlet plug with pics. I'm going to try it and burn my hands and electrocute myself in the process!

Here's the link to the tutorial: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Products/Powerlet/Plugs/Plug_Wiring/plug_wiring.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Artcwolf said:
...With the Chatterbox it's extremely difficult to hear what anyone is saying above 70mph (may be lower depending on your level of hearing)...
That's what the electric windshield is for Wolf! :banghead: :D

My 2 cents worth!

I just paid $85.00 to get my Chatterbox repaired because I got caught
in the rain last week! I can't believe someone would design a product for
outside use and not make it water proof! Had to vent...

Santa Lee
ST1100
CBR XX

STOC #
We use the CB Multi-Sports
The cheaper two channel model that is allot sturdier, simpler, and has
proved to be less likely to fry if it gets wet. (lots of snowmobilers use them)
The VOX works fine once you get it adjusted and position your mic correctly
We also use the belt clip and extension so it goes with you when you get off
the bike. Battery lasts all day, accepts outside audio, has the input for
a passenger, and has a PTT if you want to use it.
For me, simple + cheaper and works fine.

Ride safe, Spencer

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Well that did it! The unit failed!!! Getting nothing but static now. It worked for two days then poof!

So that's a testament to Chatterbox's gear... I pronounce the Chatterbox FRS-X2... a piece of CRAP! :eek: :(

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
The wife and myself have chatterboxes on our bikes. We both have driven long distances thru heavy rain, and the units still work. The PTT switch didnt last long at all when it got wet. We now use the VOX, but as said, above 65 mph, its just about useless.

Top Bottom