Cheap bead breaker using lumber.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've used this method for the last 15 years and thought I would share how simple a bead breaker can be made. You may need to rotate the tire and break it in more than one spot, also both sides.

I take the tire off the rims with 3 spoons and dish soap for lubricant. Use lots of soap! I use 2 of these Stockton 15" long curved levers and a 9" straight short spoon.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-tire-irons

I've mounted every tire I've used including all the car tires on my bike. About the only thing I use other than the spoons is on a car tire I mount a tiedown strap around the tire after I've got the first side on and second side started down onto the rim. Hook both ends of the winch type strap into the square-oval shaped holes found around the outside part of the inner wheel (hub). I tighten the strap down to where both beads are as far forced down into the wheel center as possible. Use lots of soap!

Bike
R1200rt
I just use the car tire changer at work. I used to use a large c-clamp to break the tire bead and a lot of dish soap.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Breaking the bead has never been a problem. But I have seen guys in garages work hard to get some tires to separate from the rim (bead)... so I guess my experience is not typical.

Top Bottom