Chieftain Test Ride

STOC #
I got up early this morning to ride my ST. I keep her at my Mom's house, 200 miles south of me. I spent yesterday servicing the Spartan mower and the afternoon mowing her grass, (I'm already sick of it). I took a direct path a little over 125 miles at a fast pace. I went through down town Little Rock on I-30 and it is a disaster! Major construction. Major idiots. Avoid it. Take 440 which SHOULD be designated I-30.

I stopped at an Indian dealership for a test ride, per their invitation by corporate email, and test rode a blue Beast. I wanted to ride the new Chief. They had two with sold tags on them. Lots of other models on the floor. An old school friend I didn't immediately recognize showed up. Said he was there to pick up his new Super Chief. I was about to test ride it! (He didn't return timely and they thought he had possibly changed his mind.) He was serious when he asked if I had sat on it. I assured him I had not violated his lady. He said go ahead I'll just get another one. I had to doubly reassure him I didn't want it.

Gary said he was trading his 2021 Honda Rebel DCT with 400 miles on it. He didn't like the handlebars and since Honda didn't offer an optional handlebar he acted like the Red Queen and said 'Off with it's Head'. Gary is a personal injury lawyer with ads on TV. I'm glad I didn't sit on his bike.

The Indian Chief is a great looking bike. It's been on my mind lately so I scratched the itch. I enjoyed the test ride on the Chieftain. Awesome bike. A true Intercontinental bagger with all kinds of creature comforts and gizmos. One might ask, why not ride the new Challenger? It sort of translates into a Sport Touring bike. No thanks, need a big change. I like the looks of the Chief. I want one,,, so I put a security deposit on a new Chief DH Bobber in Sagebrush Smoke (OD Green).

I'm going to keep my CBR but I'm afraid I'll have to let the ST and the VFR go.

OP
OP
ArTravlR
STOC #
Well, it's interesting to note that in 2001 I paid $13,500.00 for my ST. BING tells me that money today would be valued at $19855.44. That won't buy a Goldwing today. Honda has abandoned the ST concept, it's time to move on and I'm going Indian this time. Besides, I'm not concerned about people's "social thinking" that's absurd.

Last edited:
Well, it's interesting to note that in 2001 I paid $13,500.00 for my ST. BING tells me that money today would be valued at $19855.44. That won't buy a Goldwing today. Honda has abandoned the ST concept, it's time to move on and I'm going Indian this time. Besides, I'm not concerned about people's "social thinking" that's absurd.
Don't read into my comment ... I like everything bike related and enjoy viewing and experiencing bikes from all cultures. I've been riding for over 50 years and have owned and done most all type of riding, from motocross (alongside Lyle Lovett!), to dual sport, to enduro, to sport bike (first year 'Busa), and touring.

It's a personal thing about vehicles and me ... I let someone else take the depreciation hit. To be fair, I'd never pay $30k for a 4 wheel vehicle either : )

So yea, the Indian is a great bike and has a long American heritage that I respect.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I've had my bike for 21 years and I paid $10,500 plus tax for my 2000 new. As far as the money you paid and the value of the money now look at it this way. Your ST was so reliable that you did not need to replace it in 20 years. Now most people will have purchased several bikes in that period of time spending big coin. I figure I have saved a small fortune riding the same horse for 21 years. That fortune is sitting in a bank account marked as new bike fund so that if and when something better comes along all I have to do is pull the trigger. With that said congrats on your new purchase.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I've had my bike for 21 years and I paid $10,500 plus tax for my 2000 new... Now most people will have purchased several bikes in that period of time spending big coin...
For most people it's an enjoyable, recreational hobby, not a marriage. ;)

Like for most hobbies; if you get bored shop for what you want, buy what you can afford. :thumb:

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
For most people it's an enjoyable, recreational hobby, not a marriage. ;)

Like for most hobbies; if you get bored shop for what you want, buy what you can afford. :thumb:

Tom
I know. I know. You can't take it with you. Even my wife asks me "when are you going to get rid of that thing":rofl1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Bikes are like wives; if you keep them long enough, they are worth more for you to keep than the cost of trading them in. :shrug2:

Tom
And to think she has the nerve to call me cheap just because I own a 21 year old motorcycle and a 16 year old car with 225K miles. Wonder where she gets that idea:biggrin:?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I got up early this morning to ride my ST. I keep her at my Mom's house, 200 miles south of me. I spent yesterday servicing the Spartan mower and the afternoon mowing her grass, (I'm already sick of it). I took a direct path a little over 125 miles at a fast pace. I went through down town Little Rock on I-30 and it is a disaster! Major construction. Major idiots. Avoid it. Take 440 which SHOULD be designated I-30.

I stopped at an Indian dealership for a test ride, per their invitation by corporate email, and test rode a blue Beast. I wanted to ride the new Chief. They had two with sold tags on them. Lots of other models on the floor. An old school friend I didn't immediately recognize showed up. Said he was there to pick up his new Super Chief. I was about to test ride it! (He didn't return timely and they thought he had possibly changed his mind.) He was serious when he asked if I had sat on it. I assured him I had not violated his lady. He said go ahead I'll just get another one. I had to doubly reassure him I didn't want it.

Gary said he was trading his 2021 Honda Rebel DCT with 400 miles on it. He didn't like the handlebars and since Honda didn't offer an optional handlebar he acted like the Red Queen and said 'Off with it's Head'. Gary is a personal injury lawyer with ads on TV. I'm glad I didn't sit on his bike.

The Indian Chief is a great looking bike. It's been on my mind lately so I scratched the itch. I enjoyed the test ride on the Chieftain. Awesome bike. A true Intercontinental bagger with all kinds of creature comforts and gizmos. One might ask, why not ride the new Challenger? It sort of translates into a Sport Touring bike. No thanks, need a big change. I like the looks of the Chief. I want one,,, so I put a security deposit on a new Chief DH Bobber in Sagebrush Smoke (OD Green).

I'm going to keep my CBR but I'm afraid I'll have to let the ST and the VFR go.
CONGRATUATIONS! I have looked at the Roadmaster for a long time! I too hope to get an Indian one day. Please post some pictures when you get it and let us know!
Very happy for you!
JOhn

Top Bottom