Childhood memories

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Nice! Although I can truthfully claim to be a native Kansan, my residency there ended when we moved to the Chicago area; I was three at the time. But KS still holds a special place in my heart. I'd bet good money several of my older cousins could identify every one of the landmarks you photographed.

Fort Riley is not too far from my Dad's ancestral home, Clay Center. I dunno if he's still on, but ST-O had a member in Clay Center for a while.

The house where we lived when I was born still stands, nearly unchanged from 1965 when we last lived in it.
IMG_0981.JPG

Casting an early-morning shadow
IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Cottonwood Ranch
IMG_1024.JPG

"Here there be Dragons"
IMG_1065.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Nice! Although I can truthfully claim to be a native Kansan, my residency there ended when we moved to the Chicago area; I was three at the time. But KS still holds a special place in my heart. I'd bet good money several of my older cousins could identify every one of the landmarks you photographed.

Fort Riley is not too far from my Dad's ancestral home, Clay Center. I dunno if he's still on, but ST-O had a member in Clay Center for a while.

The house where we lived when I was born still stands, nearly unchanged from 1965 when we last lived in it.
IMG_0981.JPG

Casting an early-morning shadow
IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Cottonwood Ranch
IMG_1024.JPG

"Here there be Dragons"
IMG_1065.JPG
We attended church in Clay Center and were part of the Boy Scout troop there as well.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I am going to use this to flesh out why I was in the Midwest. Needs of the Air Force sent me to Omaha for 2 weeks and I was granted permission to ride over fly by proving the cost savings. I left Friday, 10SEP at 2230 so as to avoid traffic. I preplanned all my gas stops to be 250mi apart and stuck to that plan. I used off ramps with no services as pit stops to save time and carried a bag of unsalted almonds, a few Kind and Lara bars for food. I did stop at McDonalds for to get lunch Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I camped out of Wasta, Montana. There is a 4-5ft high berm and it is uphill from the dirt road which makes being seen by passerby very unlikely. I got caught in a rain storm while still in the tent so I waited it out which meant I got 10hrs of sack time.
1632698848647.png
I departed Omaha 0700(Pacific Time for ease of time keeping) 24SEP and made 667mi by 1900 (2100/9pm/2300GMT/ZULU) but it was dark. Using G'maps I had found a gravel pit that looked ideal but in the dark I did not want to ride through the open range grazing area to find it. I did camp next to a cell tower which is not the greatest because the relay for the flashing lights, the AC unit and various other associated equipment make all kinds of noise.
Now, I did mention this was open range grazing and the evidence of such was every where around but there were no signs posted about trespassing. Around 0000(midnight) I was awakened by noise outside the tent so I sat up and found that a small heard of steers was milling around about 30 yards away. I laid back down to sleep when I heard the herd start running away and then come charging back. I decided that cows being the dumb beasts that they are that it would be best to move on.PXL_20210925_072220936.jpg
The outbound trip netted me an unofficial Iron Butt and Saddle Sore, right at 36hrs. The return from start to finish was 34hrs, 1683mi. Technically speaking I accomplished 2 Iron Butts and a Saddle Sore on the return because I had ridden 1K miles before 0700 Saturday and my camp site was 996mi from home. So, with traveling off the freeway to get gas, coffee, water, or pit I may have added the needed 4mi to get a 1000. I arrived on my door step 34hrs after leaving Omaha.
I also can record a coldest ride of the year at 26F(-3.33C). Which is also a great lead into review my experience with a 'Stich Roadcrafter R3 (unlined). Temps on this trip varied from the affor mentioned low to 92F(33.33C). I wear light weight thermal leggings, a wicking layer under a heavy weight wool thermal for the upper body and a GoreTex fleece. These items were inadequate even at 50F(10C). I made a stop at Cycle Gear before departing Omaha and purchased a Hot Wired jacket. Words cannot fully express how glorious that heat feels. The downside to the Hot Wired jacket is that it uses a built in controller that only has 3 heat settings, lo, med, hi. The jacket does have glove connectors at the end of each sleeve. I made the choice to leave my Gerbing gloves at home so I am not sure if they will work together.
The other high light of the trip was rolling 100,000mi on the ST. I still have 2000mi to go before I can claim the token of 100K on her. She is now due for her 98K valve check, an oil change and a rear tire. I had read about tires cupping but didn't know what it looked like. I'm know very knowledgeable about cupping. Starting odometer on 10SEP was 96,238. Trip end odo 100314. Trip total 4,076mi.
PXL_20210925_185725925.jpgPXL_20210925_190045985.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom