Clean Switched power supply

Hi to you all, I have recently installed my comms (Bike to Bike) audio bluetooth (Phone) Mp3 and Autocom. This system has been previously used on both BMW R1150 GS and the CBR 1100 XX Blackbird for the last 2 years with no issues at all this was all, in a tank bag and switched between bikes almost daily depending on my needs for that day and was powered straight from the battery on a simple plug. So last week I did a full permanent install on the ST 1300 and now have engine noice (Interference) over both incoming and outgoing audio. I took the power from a square plug under the seat right hand side towards rear, would guess that it's a plug for heated seat option. Today I'm going to power the bike to bike radio from a battery and see if it improves, so the question is:: Is there a clean swithced power supply any where on the ST 1300? Had the same problem some years ago with the ST 1100 and cant remember how I fixed it.

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
No, and if the connector you're currently using for power is a reddy/brown colour, then it's the diagnostic connector for the ECU.

I have similar issues with my MIT.

I purchased a N500 filter and still had noise.
Here is what Dave (www.davidnavone.com) wrote to me:

"The N-500 has 30+ dB of attenuation on the +12 Volt line... If you're still experiencing noise, it's possible that it's coming over the ground... We make the N-IP12A2 Isolated Power Supply for that problem....

To see if the N-IP12A2 will work, temporarily power your component with a small motorcycle battery that is not connected to anything.. You can use a Makita battery drill battery or a 120 Volt AC to 13.8 Volt DC bench power supply.. If the noise goes away completely, order the N-IP12A2..."

As the recommended power supply is a bit too expensive for my tastes, I relocated my MIT behind the seat and it solved the problem. The source of my problem was the interference from the engine.

I hope this helps.

Burger

mmmm hamburgers...
Bike
BMW K1600GT SE
STOC #
If the intercom and any connected audio source are powered from the bike then it's almost certain you have a ground loop unless you've already allowed for that. If any two audio devices are connected and powered from the bike then they should be connected with a GLI - Ground Loop Isolator.

Regards,

I located mine under the seat at first then realized the big bundle of wires created a huge amount of noise. Then I moved it to the tail and used a cheap ($8) noise filter in the positive lead. The whole thing is wired to the battery and a relay. I still get a bit of tick. Next I'm going to try putting the whole unit in a tank bag. If that doesn't work I'll just scrap it and ride :03biker:

Burger

mmmm hamburgers...
Bike
BMW K1600GT SE
STOC #
To be clear... Ground loops are not created by using different ground points on the bike. The are created through the audio shield connecting two components both powered from the bike. Ground loops can cause all sorts of problems from slight noises to units completely failing to work. Therefore if you have two audio units one feeding the other, both powered by the bike they absolutely should be connected with an audio lead containing a GLI.

Regards,

STOC #
To be clear... Ground loops are not created by using different ground points on the bike. The are created through the audio shield connecting two components both powered from the bike. Ground loops can cause all sorts of problems from slight noises to units completely failing to work. Therefore if you have two audio units one feeding the other, both powered by the bike they absolutely should be connected with an audio lead containing a GLI.

Regards,
How and where in the circuit is the best place to wire in isolator?

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I've been having some noise issues with my J$M, so I called Sierra. The said to get the power from the back of the fuse block, from the brake light wire, before the fuse. It should be cleaner... just what I was told. Haven't tried it yet tho.

Top Bottom