Clearing fuel lines

I have been working to get a '93 ST back on the road which hasn't run since 1999. Fortunately, it appears the gas was drained from the carbs prior to the bike being parked. But I've rebuilt the carbs per the tutorial on this site anyway. I've also cleaned out the gas tank. I'm ready to re-install both those things. But first I'd like to clear the fuel lines of any gunkiness that may linger in there. I think I can do this by hooking up the lines to the tank and energizing the fuel pump with jumpers. Obviously I would have containers ready to catch fuel at the four outlets (and a fire extinguisher at the ready). I would likely use vice grips on each hose so I could control flow to one at a time. Just let the fuel flow until it was nice and clear. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better way? I will be installing a new fuel filter after lines have cleared.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've used my air compressor to check fuel hoses. Also used spray carb cleaner...any change in color of the fluid at the open end will indicate dirty or partially clogged lines...then blow that out with the air compressor.
I don't like the risk of dousing things with raw gasoline.

Top Bottom