Close Call...

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
Had a close call on the bike today. I was excited to be able to ride the bike in to work today for the first time since I bought it in February. It was a cold morning at 21F, but I suited up and was ready for the cold, not really all that ready for what happened next (who can ever be completely ready). Anyway, I rode out of my driveway, onto my street and rode up towards the stop sign about 200 yards from my driveway. A cage was turning left onto my street and seemed to be cutting it a little close, make that EXTREMELY CLOSE!... I noticed this and like any defensive driver should do, I moved over as far as I could without riding up on the curb... and then yelled (because I apparently forgot I had a horn).. The cage kept right on moving and clipped my mirror, which pushed me over. So there I am, new (to me) bike laying over on the tip over wing and me "spitting angry". The cage driver (turned out to be my neighbor I hadnt met yet) got out full of apology. He said the sun was in his eyes and he never saw me till he heard me yelling. We picked the bike up and looked it over. He gave me insurance info and we went on our ways, both pretty shaken up.. Be careful out there.. sometimes they really just dont see you...

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Glad you are ok!

I have an intersection by my house where they cut the corner frequently. I have been put in similar situations. This happened both on my bike and my bicycle. Put me right up the curb. Angry for sure.:)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Glad you're OK. The sun is low in sky this time of year, worse in the winter months, in the early AM and evening and it does make it hard to see sometimes.(Usually about the time we are commuting to work or home) Good thing is as the days get longer that blinding sunlight is not as bad.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well we are glad you are OK and the bike only has minor damage. You have to watch those other drivers as they are out to get you!!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Good to hear you are OK, the bike can be fixed. Might want to think about adding some extra lighting to the bike to "help" attract attention and make your frontal visibility more noticeable. After you are done with that, then you can work on making the back more visible. Let's hope there isn't a second time, once is scary enough.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Glad you're here posting.
He didn't see you because he didn't look.
I can't see so i'll just drive on the wrong side of the road and hope for the best?

Maybe he'll pay attention next time. At least he admitted he blew it.

Lesson, 5 seconds from the driveway 500miles from home keep on your toes.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Glad it was not worse. Poor way to start the season. I've been saved a few times from this because of my Freeway Blaster! After riding with me, my wife gave it to me for a long ago birthday. Great gift!

Top Bottom