Clutch switch issue, lever wear, temp fix

160,000 mi on ST13.
Clutch switch not been working well, been shifting to neutral to start for a while.
Was about to just jumper it, but looking closer, my lever is just too worn.

Look closely at the pic, there is even a wear divot in the lever from the clutch switch.
(Besides the wear inserts for the bolt and for the MC rod.) I new this was all worn, but was lazy doing anything about it.

Forgot to take an after pic, but I put three careful plies of foil tape on that little land where the switch rides.
It works.
Yes, now to find the best option for replacement.
I suppose not a surprise with many miles, but did not expect to see the metal worn by the plastic switch.

Attachments

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Wear of the lever pivot bushing and the push rod bushing is quite common actually. The pivot bushing in the lever is a P.O.S. design in my opinion. It necessitates replacing the lever. Don't forget to change the push rod bushing and rubber boot. You might need a new pivot bolt and push rod as well, so give them a good look.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Silicone grease everything.Keep up to inspecting push rod/bushing when you notice slight play and you won’t need to replace lever.That set up is common to quite a few brands .

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
For years I used grease, and often had to replace bushings and levers.
I then switched to using antiseize instead, and have observed no wear on the lever or bushings, and have not needed to replace one of mine again.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Jeff, you forget the wife's restaurant was next door to Stan's Donuts for all those years....
She can make one phone call, and have you cut off.
So tell me, how are those Band-Aid fixes working for you?
:nanner1:20170924_170700.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I sure would want you riding along side of me if I broke down with something electrical though!

OP
OP
For years I used grease, and often had to replace bushings and levers.
I then switched to using antiseize instead, and have observed no wear on the lever or bushings, and have not needed to replace one of mine again.
This I like, too.
I do use anti-seize in similar ways, but had not thought to use it on the levers.
Makes sense.

Top Bottom