Code 26

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I am a member of the Foro Pan European (Spanish)

A member recently posted a write up on a 'fix' for Code 26. I reproduce it below translated from Spanish to English. It may be of interest and assistance to some:

"Hello everyone

I recently had a failure on my PAN ST1300, (F1 FAIL) when reaching 4000rpm, which by identifying the flashes of the F! light, I was able to identify the failure transmitted by the control unit... (2 long pulses and 6 short pulses ), that is, if each long pulse counts as 10 and each short pulse counts as 1,,, "THE CODE IN THIS CASE WOULD BE: 10+10+1+1+1+1+1+1= 26.
According to the fault identification manual, this code leads us to think that we have a bad wiring that goes to the KNOCK SENSOR on the Left side, or the SENSOR itself.
To get to this SENSOR, you will have to remove the bumper, left fairing, lower apron and left fork cover...
Once all that has been dismantled, you will also have to dismantle the exhaust manifolds and the protection bars, since otherwise it is almost impossible to get a long 24mm pipe wrench in, which is necessary to remove the SENSOR.
You can find this SENSOR at HONDA at the modest price of €178.54 + €37.49 VAT.. = €216.03 - I'll give you the HONDA purchase code: 30530-MCS-004
After searching a lot for scrapyards, websites, etc... I have not had any luck finding it... and looking on AMAZON, I found a similar one from HONDA ACCORD CR-V CIVIC, for which I risked buying for the price of €19.03... total, then it can be returned if it is not worth it.
I installed this new sensor, but its connection does not work for our cable, so I had to make an extension from the one on the motorcycle to the new connector. To make sure it didn't come off due to vibrations, I taped it tightly to the sensor itself.
Having said all this, although it may be a lot of trouble for you, I only want to make it easy for you to understand what I have done and give you the solution to this possible problem.
It is assumed that once you have an electronic fault, the control unit registers it and may continue to show it to you even if it is already solved... so I made a sequence that I found in one of the multiplex forums that I saw, to reset it ...and it is the following:

The first thing you have to do is make a bridge with a piece of cable or if you have a button it is more comfortable..., because with that cable you are going to have to bridge the F1 connector; That connector is under the passenger seat on the right, you will see it without a problem... it is dark maroon and has 4 cables.
In the connector, where you have to put the jumper are the green/pink and brown cables.

The sequence is as follows:
1. You put the bridge between the two indicated cables.
2. you put the contact
3. you remove the jumper and the F1 light remains fixed for 5 seconds
4. You put the jumper back on and the F1 flashes (it stayed fixed for me)
5. you remove the bridge
6. you remove the contact

The switchboard is now reset.

I reassembled everything, well, just the exhausts, to test and started the bike perfectly... I waited for it to warm up a little and then I put it at 4000rpm... and more... without any failure.
Seeing the result, I proceeded to put everything back together and went out to test it, without any problems.

I hope you will never need all this, but since you never know, it is better to leave it recorded here, so that it may serve as guidance and help to others."

Bike
2005 ST-1300
I will try it tonight, and see what happens. I have read a similar story of a guy that just leaves the 2 wires connected and just rides it like that and claims that it will not go into limp mode like mine does when hitting the 4400 RPM limit of failure.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The sequence is as follows:
1. You put the bridge between the two indicated cables.
2. you put the contact
3. you remove the jumper and the F1 light remains fixed for 5 seconds
4. You put the jumper back on and the F1 flashes (it stayed fixed for me)
5. you remove the bridge
6. you remove the contact

The switchboard is now reset.
I assume he means this:
1. Install your jumper with a push button switch in line across the green/pink and Brown cables.
2. Press the push button (shorts across those two wires)
3. Release the push button. and F1 light remains fixed for 5 seconds
4. Push the button again and F1 flashes.
5. Remove your jumper with push button.
6??????

I'm not sure if I interpreted the directions correctly. He seems to use bridge and jumper interchangeably.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
I tried it. When you jump the wires it will show the F1 code flashing for the 26 error. Then you pull the wire and plug it back in and it resets, but it came back on the first time I got over the 4400 rpm threshold. I am going to leave it it and ride the 25 miles home and see what happens.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Procedure is straight out of my 03-05 Service Manual, pages 5-8 (Self-Diagnostic Procedure) and 5-9 (Self-Diagnosis Reset Procedure) for reading, and resetting, the PGM-FI system. Nothing unique about it. Except the corrections for mine say the wire is Green/Orange, not Green/Pink as printed.

All it does is clear the code, doesn't fix the problem that caused the code in the first place.
@Andrew Shadow - Sorry, didn't mean to intend that the fix wouldn't work, just that the procedure listed is in the book. I'm curious if the code remains clear as well; been living with mine across two ECMs now that both started out without any indication of the fault regardless of RPM, for years on the first and for almost a year on the second. I have two knock sensors on the shelf that I haven't tried because one is a PITA to get to (as described) and it's really not that big of an issue for the riding I do. The other correction I have for my SM is that the codes 25/26 are reversed in the printed references; will leave that for all to determine for themselves.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
All it does is clear the code, doesn't fix the problem that caused the code in the first place.
His claim is that replacing the knock sensor fixed the problem, not clearing the failure code.
It would be interesting to find out if that result will hold over the longer term.
After searching a lot for scrapyards, websites, etc... I have not had any luck finding it... and looking on AMAZON, I found a similar one from HONDA ACCORD CR-V CIVIC
I installed this new sensor,
I reassembled everything, well, just the exhausts, to test and started the bike perfectly... I waited for it to warm up a little and then I put it at 4000rpm... and more... without any failure.
Seeing the result, I proceeded to put everything back together and went out to test it, without any problems.

Top Bottom