Composite or metal ram mount arm?

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have the ball mount and the X-grip for my cell phone mount, but am lacking the arm. I'm not sure which option is the best, the composite or metal arm. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance;

Ken Morse

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm using the plastic RAM arm (the short one). No problems at all w/ movement when the X-grip is holding the phone. Which is best? I suppose the metal one would be stronger, but the plastic is fine. My Zumo 590, however sometimes sags a bit unless I really crank the arm down tight (again, short plastic arm).

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have one of each, and no problems with either, although the metal one seems to sag more under it's own weight. Horse apiece.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I have one of each, and no problems with either, although the metal one seems to sag more under it's own weight. Horse apiece.
Would the metal one get hotter then the other in this really hot weather?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300

I think they'll both absorb the same amount of heat, but the metal one might hold it longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300

Since we (maybe I should say 'I' here) rarely adjust these once set, does it make a difference? After a while, everything on the bike is at ambient temp anyway; unless something is exposed to engine heat it will not get any hotter.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Since we (maybe I should say 'I' here) rarely adjust these once set, does it make a difference? After a while, everything on the bike is at ambient temp anyway; unless something is exposed to engine heat it will not get any hotter.
In the desert where you can burn skin just by touching metal, ya, it matters a lot.
Also, whether sitting upright on stock pegs or slouching down with feet out on my hwy pegs (no, not mcl blades, mine are inches forward and lower) I do move my phone ( which is also my radio, CB, M/C Communications, GPS, MP3 player, and sometimes a phone ) I do move it forward or back. I also move it left or right to use it easier when off the bike.

OP
OP
Paawpabear

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks to all who have responded. I would have guessed that the metal one would have gotten more votes, but not so. I'm also planning on getting the removable knob hoping to reduce the chance of someone stealing the arm and X-grip. Any feadback on this idea?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Thanks to all who have responded. I would have guessed that the metal one would have gotten more votes, but not so. I'm also planning on getting the removable knob hoping to reduce the chance of someone stealing the arm and X-grip. Any feadback on this idea?
The Locking knob is nice but you should know that as a key, they all have the same key. In fact even the knob that do lock with a key, they are all the same key. It's still better security than none.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I've got a couple of short mounts and a long on one, all composite, for phone, GPS and camera. Been quite happy with them If I am in a place that is not secure and even hotel underground parking, I'll just pop the arms and mounts off leaving just the ram balls that are hard mounted (and thread locked). Everything goes in the trunk. I don't want to carry any more keys lol.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I use a composite short extension from the Heli handlebars riser to hold up the remote head to the Kenwood 2-way Radio. It is angled almost fully horizontal and works nicely. I was thinking of replacing the tightening knob with just a hex or star bolt, but typically people leave police bikes alone... unless of course you leave it downtown LA.

4421AF81-63FB-407D-8058-4866EACEDFE0.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The Locking knob is nice but you should know that as a key, they all have the same key. In fact even the knob that do lock with a key, they are all the same key. It's still better security than none.
Thanks for that. This never occurred to me, and I had considered getting the locking knob. For now, I just take my cell phone w/ me (slip it out of the X-grip) and put the gps in my top box. Yes, I find this to be a bit of a pita, especially when the bike is loaded down w/ camping gear and the top box is full, but peace of mind is priceless. One of these years I hope to get a tourtech(?) metal real locking holder for my Zumo. But first I have to make some sort of holder for it.

Locks just keep honest people honest.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have the locking knob for my RAM setup. My only quibble is the knob is much larger than it needs to be and it doesn't allow the positioning I'd like. But it's just a quibble.

Prior to getting it I would always remove the arm and grip (X and Hondo) and stow them in a pan. That got annoying especially if I couldn't park where I could see the bike. So now I leave the rig intact and just remove my phone.

The keyed-alike thing isn't a big issue for me. It might be possible to get it rekeyed. And the odds of somebody looking to steal it with a key are less than somebody deciding they want the 'unlocked' version. Leaving the bike out overnight at a hotel (covered) I'd remove the locking setup anyway.

Replacing the standard knob with a Torx or security Torx screw is a good idea. I haven't found a source for them that offers a big choice of sizes and small amounts. A Bag o' Torx gets pricey. Or maybe that's just the security version. IDR. I haven't seen security drivers for them just bits for socket use. A one-piece dedicated driver would be nice to have.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
...Replacing the standard knob with a Torx or security Torx screw is a good idea.
Thank you

I haven't found a source for them that offers a big choice of sizes and small amounts. A Bag o' Torx gets pricey. Or maybe that's just the security version. IDR. I haven't seen security drivers for them just bits for socket use. A one-piece dedicated driver would be nice to have.
Dont know bout them fancy red pricy prancing pony Italian sports cars, but thats what my old ‘Merican Vette uses to remove the targa top.

11B7EB28-9027-44C3-B44F-403DCD9A1E69.jpeg

Some enterprising guy sells a dedicated electric torx driver for Vette fanatics like me.

;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom