Concours 1400

I just rode the Concours 1400 for a few miles at the local Kawasaki dealership with 41 miles on the odometer (thanks to the generous owner, Cal at Freewheeling Cycle).

Smoooooth like an ST
Great brakes
GREAT PRICE $12,999 non abs, $13,500 with ABS
Did not get to really try it, but reports are gobs of HP
Good fit and finish (sometimes lacking in Kawasaki's)
12v outlet on dash
Nice knee/leg room to fairing
Key fob
Seating position (more upright like ST than old Concours)

Dislikes:
Very small wind screen
HUGH muffler
Small foot pegs
No fairing pockets (does have a small tank compartment)
Passenger comfort ????
Only 5.something gallons of gas
Heat already starting to pour from lower leg area (not enclosed by fairing)

Observations - Honda quite. This is desired by some and not others...
No matter how you suspend a rear wheel, big bumps make a real wheel jump.

At such an attractive price, Kawasaki should sell quite a few

Note: No ST's were harmed in this evaluation. My ST's feeling have not been hurt as I intend to hug and flog mine for a long time...

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
While I am sure they will sell quite a few at first, I won't be buying one. At the rate I ride the ST's, the ones I have will last a good long time. There is no need for me to test ride one even if the local dealer would let me. :03biker:

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I was just at my local STealer and they already have it discounted to 11999 for non ABS. Price is right.

The ST has a happy home for now (until the warranty runs out)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The ST has a happy home for now (until the warranty runs out)
That's what I was thinking, although I'm always looking to see what my next ride is going to be. My warranty doesn't run out until March of 2011. Plus I only have 67k miles on my ST. :rolleyes:

Ray

Bike
ST
STOC #
My three year old ST has nothing to fear. Heck, my '91 ST wouldn't have had anything to fear either.

I sat on one yesterday (front and back seats). It immediately needs a new seat. The look and feel is more like a sport bike with matching bags than a sport touring bike. Don't like the key fob feature . . . the salesman could barely get it to work correctly. Don't like the lack of crash bars. The rear seat is more narrow than the ST and the foot position is higher with little metal pegs plus there aren't any backrest/top box options yet.
I've ridden the ZX-14 and it's fast and smooth so I'm sure the Concours is too. Don't think I give up the ST for it. I'd be more inclined to own a new FJR if I went away from the ST. At least they've addressed the shortcomings.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I sat on one today and took the better part of an hour looking it over with another ST/FJR owner. I would like to ride one. I'm sure the performance will make it king of the sport tourers available today. I stopped in the shop to buy a pair of gloves and was stunned to see the Concours 14 on the floor. So was the sales staff, as of yesterday they did not expect to get delivery of them until September or October but one arrived late yesterday. I was told all dealers should get at least one now and more will trickle in.

Some have noted a high level of fit and finish but I did not see that in the bike I looked at. The alloy swingarm looked like it had been cast in a Chinese sandbox. It was finished with a rough, porous surface. In contrast the upper swing arm linkages (tetra levers?) were nicely finished with tidy welds. The front disc brake carriers are carbon steel and painted. The lower fork sliders and disc brake mounts looked to be painted and not anodized. The carriers will rust with time and the lowers will chip off black paint. The one piece seat is not adjustable and where the front seat mounting tabs were spot welded to the tank it looked like the person or robot that attached then didn't particulary care what they looked like although they are hidden when the seat is in place. The tank mounted storage looks like an afterthought and doesn't lock. On this one the door did not shut completely and the gap will leak water into the compartment. There is no other storage on or in the bike I could see. Pictures cannot do justice to the huge black painted exhaust pipe. It dominates the right side of the bike and not in a good way. There were a lot of other little things that would seem like nit picks but I guess I have just been spoiled by Honda engineering in cars and bikes for too many years.

This one will likely be sold by the end of business today according to several of the hovering sales staff. I do tip my hat to Atlantic Powersports for not tacking on additional dealer profit as it is for sale at Kawasaki MSRP.

I feel that Honda still leads the Asian mfgs with quality of build and specs the best fittings and fasteners that look good after years of use ahd thousands of miles.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I ast on one today, it felt taller than my ST, I also noticed it had 2 separate height adjusters for the headlights. the windshield is too small.

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
:eek: Heck I wish I had Linked brakes on my ZZR!.........

:shock: Well maybe not on second thought....I already ride it tooooooooo fast as it is!

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
But, as far as mileage: I *average* maybe 38 miles per gallon with my ST, often more like 32. That sounds a lot like "low to mid thirties." So same, same there.
Assuming there is nothing wrong mechanically with your ST, if you ride it hard enough to get low to mid-thirties mpg, and if you ride the Connie14 the same way, you'll be lucky to get upper-20s. :eek: And this from a bike Kaw was aiming at the cross-country rider?? Give me a break!

My ST, on the other hand, has NEVER gotten below 40 (even with a bad thermostat) and I ride the hell out of it, even when two-up pulling a trailer.

I'll keep my ST. IMHO, the styling is great and Honda's reliability can't be beat.

OP
OP
fastflyer20
One interesting observation on the ST mpg based on air temp. Living in Buffalo, NY it is hard to get it out of the mid 30 MPG in the cold weather (30-50 degrees). Medium temps (45-70 degrees) put mine at 39-41 mpg and weather above 70 puts it into the 40's all of the time.

I have never found a perfect motorcycle. The ST just seems to have less quirks than the rest...

Linked brakes are a good thing, even for an accomplished rider. MotoGuzzi had them in 1976 on the T-3, and they worked great. It was a simpler valving system, but functionally was similar. What's the beef?

I agree, mileage on the ST seems to be affected by air temp. I can just about break fifty mpg when it is above 70, but at 30 F I'm lucky to stay above 40. The computer doesn't seem to adjust for the colder air temp. I can live with it.

The ST has quirks. It even has what could be considered flaws, if you were looking for a very narrowly defined bike. This is a multi-function machine, designed to do everything well. By definition, there are other machines designed for a more specific use that will do them better. If that is what a particular rider deems more important, then go buy it. Just recognize the ST for what it is- a very well rounded motorcycle.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
RFMike and Fastflyer20, is your engine temperature going up to and staying at 3 bars when riding in cooler/colder weather?

Ray

OP
OP
fastflyer20
Ray, once warm mine is always showing 3 bars. What are you thinking? How does this compare to yours? It might be a heavy wrist, but I have never seen 50 mpg on this bike. I am lucky to see mid to high 40's. I have synced the throttle bodies 2x now.

Tom

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Ray, once warm mine is always showing 3 bars. What are you thinking? How does this compare to yours? It might be a heavy wrist, but I have never seen 50 mpg on this bike. I am lucky to see mid to high 40's. I have synced the throttle bodies 2x now.

Tom
I was thinking with the ambient temperature affecting your mileage so severely that you might have an open thermostat. Something definitely isn't right unless you are taking a lot of short rides per tank.

Ray

Top Bottom