Concours14 Test Ride

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I dropped by my Local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer today to pick up a rear axle washer for my 2005 ST1300 that was not reinstalled by the person who mounted my rear tire in Phoenix in June.

They had an interesting lineup on the sales floor: 2007 ST1300, 2007 FJR1300, 2008 Concours14, 2006 ST1300. Out front another Concours14 was parked.

I casually asked, "Any chance of a test ride on that new Concours out front?" The manager replied, "As soon as I can find a salesman."

Everyone will be subjective in their evaluations, including me. I am 5-11, but have a 29" inseam and a long back. I have my ST1300 seat in the lowest position, which allows me almost to flatfoot at stops. I have Heli-Bar risers, and when I ride, my gaze at the horizon transits the windscreen about 3" from the top edge when fully up -- my normal riding position except in the tight twisties.

They put temp tags on the C14, stuck in the magic key and I was off.

The C14 panniers are higher and further forward than on the ST1300, and I bumped my knee getting on and dragged my toe getting off. The seat height is higher than my ST1300, so it was a little tippy-toe at a stop. The seat was comfortable, and the step up to the passenger portion is a little higher than on the ST1300.

The rear-view in the mirrors is partially blocked by the panniers, presenting a little problem when duck-walking back into a parking spot. A person with a shorter back would have more vision blockage.

Some folks with a different riding style than mine are going to love the C14. It is very stable, turns well, feels nimbler. The ST1300 has been criticised for the abrupt deceleration on throttle close. The C14 is softer in that regard, partly due to taller gearing.

The C14 has 6 speeds, with top showing on the display screen as "OD", and 3000rpm on the tach gives 65mph on the speedo in 6th. For my ST1300, 3000rpm gives 55mph in 5th. All are as-is, with no calibration or correction.

Gear changes on the C14 up and down are smooth, no clunks.

With the C14 windscreen fully up, my horizon gaze clears the top by a good 5", and the screen itself is narrower than the ST1300. My preference is to ride with my ST1300 screen fully up and I enjoy the quiet and lack of turbulence. On the C14 there is considerable wind blast on my helmet with the screen fully up, and with the screen fully down, the wind hits my chest hard.

I rode 684 miles on my ST1300 last Thursday, including 50 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway and the Tail of the Dragon, then 590 miles on the return Saturday. I don't think I could have done that on the C14 without being worn out from the noise and buffeting of the wind.

Subjectively, I still prefer my ST1300 for my style of riding. I did 10,400 miles in 26 days this past June, and I was never worn out at the end of the day.

Tom

Thanks for your impression of C14. It is interesting to hear opinions of various people.

Bike
2008 Goldwing
...Everyone will be subjective in their evaluations, including me...
...Some folks with a different riding style than mine are going to love the C14. It is very stable, turns well, feels nimbler...
...Subjectively, I still prefer my ST1300 for my style of riding. I did 10,400 miles in 26 days this past June, and I was never worn out at the end of the day.

Tom
That was an excellent ride review. I've just passed 4000 miles on mine and your evaluation is pretty accurate.

The stock windshield is awful - I have a 5" taller Cee Bailey and it transformed the long distance and weather capabilities.

Top Bottom