Confused.....Spline Lube?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
You can add a bit of carrier grease as well if you need to reconstitute it past re-mixing it. Some understanding is required though. The grease you use cannot be chosen indiscriminately. You should match the original grease chemistry as some grease bases are incompatible with others. The MoS2 isn't soluble in the grease carrier, it is only suspended. The moly won't degrade, just the carrier. In service, the carrier is expected to dry out and leave the solid lubricant. The only thing the carrier can do wrong is wash out and take the moly with it. I used to make my own moly paste back in the olden days when the BMW specified Straburags NBU30 PTM proved not only uber-expensive, but totally inadequate for the task of staying on clutch splines. The well-considered consensus then was that 30% moly plated the parts out better than 60% did. Just use a bit more to get the required moly content. My own recipe was to compound dry MoS2 into Wurth Sig3000 grease for a 30% solids mixture. After that I used a mixture of Honda 60 with various compatible greases until Guard Dog GD-525 came along. It is still available from T.S. Moly, but I expect I"ll transition to the Locktite product when my stash expires or is used up. GD-525 is what we used on @Uncle Phil 's rear wheel when we put a tire on it during BRG. His splines were totaly wiped clean of lubricant when the wheel came off and he can report at tire change how the GD-525 did (or did not) stay on the job.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Don't start dancing just quite yet, as the moly 60 has a shelf life of about 2 years, and they have not produced or sold it in about 5 years already.
While I respect your ST knowledge Larry, I don't believe the actual shelf life is only 2 years. I don't know what Honda printed (and don't really care), but there's no way a reputable grease/paste only has a 2 year shelf life... it just doesn't pass the smell test. I've only had mine for 5 years, but it's exactly the same as when I bought it new, and my ST11 splines are not wearing at all. I'll keep using it until it's gone, regardless of time.

Bike
VStrom 650
While I respect your ST knowledge Larry, I don't believe the actual shelf life is only 2 years. I don't know what Honda printed (and don't really care), but there's no way a reputable grease/paste only has a 2 year shelf life... it just doesn't pass the smell test. I've only had mine for 5 years, but it's exactly the same as when I bought it new, and my ST11 splines are not wearing at all. I'll keep using it until it's gone, regardless of time.
If you change your mind Paul, send it to me please.
Upt'North.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I don't know the facts about the Moly's carrier base, or if it could degrade, but TWO YEARS?? I'm on my second tube in 24 years and have never seen a watery mess.
In 2003 I purchased 2 tubes from California Sport Touring and I have about 1/3 left of the 2nd tube. I lucked into a tube on dealers clearance counter for $4 two - three years ago and someone gave me 1/3 tube when they sold their ST. Never had any issues with separation and my splines look new. Figure I'm good for about 15+ years at this rate.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
While I respect your ST knowledge Larry,only has a 2 year shelf life...
Think my tube is 5+ years old, still a a paste and my splines, even turning an overweight C/T, are still in good shape. I just recently did a complete cleaing of the splines and up-close and personal inspection.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dduelin said:
If any grease or paste separates in the container, use a Mk. 1 stir stick to reconstitute it.
I believe that was upgraded to a Mk 1 Mod 3 Stick, Stir around 2010.

Top Bottom