Considering a Can-Am RT 622 Trailer for ST1300

I did see those on the Can-Am Spyder web site. Nice trailers. They're expensive! (unless you have a bead on one used). You could get a better Bushtech for 1/3 less or even a Time Out cargo trailer like the Zephyr for half as much. I haven't pulled a cargo trailer, only a camper. Wouldn't expect a lot of difference in towing though depending how heavy you pack it. Most cargo trailers seem to hold a lot of stuff. Usually more storage than my current camper which has only 15 cu ft compared with those at 22-26+ cu ft. I find 15 cu ft more than enough for me with room for a lot more stuff if my wife decided to come along some day.
You might get more replies from the Spyder forums, but they would be from the Spyder perspective towing with a 3 wheeled machine. :eek:

Bob, where can I get a Bushtec for 1/3 less? I wanted a Bushtec but they are more than the can-am from what I have found.
The Can-Am ready to go, on my bike, wired is less than 3K. for a 2010 model that matches my bike color

I was looking at the Can-Am web site where they list the new models at $4999.
A new Bushtec Quantum Sport Basic from their web site lists for $2999, but missing the bike side wire harness.
Looks like you found a good deal already.

A long time ago I had a chance to pull a number of trailers on a trip to Americade. Trust me, there are differences in how some trailers tow. Camper trailers need brakes and two of the best pulling cargo trailers are the Bushtec and the Escapade. It is not always true but when dealing with cargo trailers, you get what you pay for. Buy a Bushtec or a Escapade and never look back. You will never have a problem and the trailer will last you a long, long, time.

My camper (not loaded) weighs 265. I think I add another 50-60 to that including an extra tarp with poles. I keep the tongue weight about 25-27 by adjusting the distribution of the pack. Use a fish scale from Walmart to check this. I found that works best for me performance-wise when I pulled a bigger camper with my Gold Wing and still works well with pulling the Mini-Mate (smaller, lighter camper) with the ST1100. As to max trailer weight that a ST can or should pull? That is a debate that keys into the rider experience, skill level, and what level of risk you will tolerate. I've heard many say don't pull more than 25% of vehicle weight but that would exclude many trailers, cargo and otherwise, that mc riders pull. If your trailer is 150 and you pack 75 in gear (not uncommon for cargo trailers that hold more than my camper) you're already past 1/3 of the vehicle weight and approaching 1/2 vehicle weight. Looking at bigger rigs, trucks pulling RV trailers, the trailer is the same or much more than vehicle weight. The real detail to watch out for as to ST1300 capability for weight is how your hitch is mounted on the bike and how much that part of the frame can handle. Load weight of your ST includes rider, passenger, cargo in top case and panniers, as well as tongue weight. Other than that it is up to your skill level, that will build with each time you pull, keeping in mind you have more *mass* back there that will affect how fast you can start up and accelerate, and how quick you can brake and bring it to a stop. Expect and allow a LOT more distance and time for both.

I always figure that my trip from home TO the campsite is to transport the trailer/camper and leave it there. Then I can go have fun riding without it while there. So I don't bemoan the extra load on the back end during my trip to the site or back home. One of the previous threads in this forum has a video from Dale of Backroad Outfitters showing him pulling the same camper as mine, from the campers' perspective, and not really cutting back on his riding style all that much. Just always be aware that there is an extra load being pulled behind and all is good.

Follow up with pictures of the installation, etc of the hitch. Looking at the table it shows ABS for late models but not all; wonder if there are issues with fitting one on a 2007 ABS bike?

:slv13:

Same price I paid for my DenRay new. Yours looks like it mounts on hard points on frame over the rear fender. Hope the ball sits low enough or the trailer needs a high hitch. Looks like it sits a bit high for many trailers but I may be wrong. +1 on the pics after install please.

Just received the hitch today. It looks very well made. It bolts to the same tabs as the exhaust. It came with longer grade 8 bolts and nylon washer nuts.
The bend of the hitch will keep the mount low. Hope to get it bolted on tomorrow. Now to find a cargo trailer at a decent price. I am looking at used Bushtec and Escapade. Any help in that area ???

Hitch install. This is the Truman Hitch. It is a direct copy of the Bushtec and uses the SAME mounting points. It is mounted to the "frame bosses" where your exhuast mounts.
In the pictures I show that in the hole closest to the front of the bike that I elected to keep the stock hardware barrel spacer/washer (to have the rubber mount of the exhaust still work properly). So I used a grade 8 1/4-20 bolt with washer and nylon lock nut at 1 1/2 long. It works great ! The hardware for the hitch was a threaded to the head metric grade 8 bolt that was so big you cannot use the barrel spacer/washer and it crushes the rubber to a useless point. Only makes sense to me. That is why I went with a grade 8 bolt that will fit the barrel spacer of the exhaust rubber mount. I needed to use the provided shims to get the hitch mounted strong and straight. You will need them to take up the difference between the front and rear mounts. The question was do it shift left or right?
It came out 3 on the left and four on the right for me to get what I feel is darn near perfect for center.IMG_4913.JPGIMG_4914.JPGIMG_4915.JPGIMG_4915.JPGIMG_4916.JPGIMG_4917.JPGIMG_4921.JPGIMG_4923.JPG

Looks good to me.
Does it have much side to side wiggle? Grab the ball (or use your foot) and try to wiggle it side to side while the bike is sitting on the rear tire (side stand or "lovely assistant" holding the bike). That will tell you if you will get a little wiggle in certain conditions while pulling a trailer such as in high winds from the side or following a big truck on the highway in high wind. I get a little of that with my set up... but my hitch only connects to the rear muffler mounts (one point) on each side and I have noticed that the ST1100 muffler mounts are on a plate that is rubber mounted and has a lot more play than a ST1300 does so I wouldn't expect much play there. Just something to be aware of. The wiggle I was getting in high winds was a bit freaky the first time I pulled the camper on the ST but not enough to be a concern for safety since I would sometimes get a side movement anyway in high winds that I was used to. It was just a little more with the camper, with more for the wind to buffet. In "normal" conditions there is no noticeable wiggle on mine. This is NOT the same wobble that some riders with the UniGo trailer were telling of with aftermarket exhausts. As with any additional load of significant size, riding a bit more conservatively is a good idea when pulling a trailer.

Since it is bolted on using the rubber mounted bolts for the exhaust there is very minimal movement if any at all.
I personally find that this helps more than it hinders IMHO.
Now to find a good cargo trailer....any ideas :)

A few years ago I was considering starting up a business selling mc trailers, cargo and campers. The Mfr I was talking with on pricing was http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/. You might look at what they have and then search Craigslist and eBay to see what is available. I have their Mini-Mate camper and also like their cargo trailers. Of course there are the Bushtec and many other brands that would be available online. Do a search here or check with some GW web forums for opinions (A lot of those riders pull trailers). Kompact Kamp cargo trailers use a torsion suspension same as the camper. Some say this makes for a very stiff ride and may be bouncy unless loaded. Many on this board who built their own mono-wheeled trailer use a single torsion arm and have no issues that I know of. I think it's perfect for the camper. I may yet get into selling trailers in a few years, or sooner if I have motivation for it. I'd try to sell more than one brand but may start with Kompact Kamp. When I was looking I found it was very hard to find anything nearby and was looking at travelling some distance to even look at one.

Back
Top Bottom