Coolant leak fixed itself

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Last fall I replaced my faulty thermostat. On my trip to FL-STOC and back I had that coolant smell when riding. I checked the coolant level during the trip but it was only down a little. I filled the reservoir when home and planned to fix the leak this spring. I forgot about the leak but rode the bike to Camp-Stoc and back with no coolant smell. I hope it stays sealed.

I'm having the same experience with my 2006. Put the bike away last winter and this spring noticed a little coolant under it. Coolant level was fine, so went on a ride of about 900 miles. No leaks on the ride, and no more leaks when it's parked. Just wondering if it's really fixed, or is the coolant just spreading itself around the inside of the tupperware? I like the idea of a bike that can fix itself. Now if it would check and adjust the valves for us Honda would be on to something.

Allen K.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The leak problem tends to go away in the warmer months and return when it gets cold again. If you had it at all, you'll probably see it again.

--Mark

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It can crust up around the fittings but it'll be back when the weather cools.
When you have the plastic off for something else you can deal with it but it's not urgent imop.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
+1 on the "it will be back in colder weather". No worries though, ride it as is until you've opportunity to dig in. In any case, keep checking coolant level and always watch for a puddle under the bike the first minute or two upon starting.

Top Bottom