Coolant seepage from water pump weep hose??

Hey guys just curious if a very small amount of coolant is acceptable to be coming out of my water pump weep hose near the front of the oil pan? Bike has been in storage over the winter and I brought it out yesterday, after warming it up to change the oil I noticed one drop of coolant come out of the weep hose while the engine oil was draining? Is this a common thing or should I be worried about the water pump seal failing? Also is the waterpump seal a large job to replace?? Thanks in advance for the info!!

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
A drop or 2 is certainly acceptable. The water pump is sold as all seperate parts and you have to press the impeller onto a shaft to a precise location, not to mention removing the front cover and scraping the gasket and making sure that the water pump drive gear and chain don't get dislodged while taking it apart.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nowt to worry about.

The earlier version of the manual states:

'Inspect the inspection hole for signs of coolant leakage. If there is leakage, the mechanical seal is defective and replace it with a new one.'
From '07 onwards, the weep hole has a drainage hose attached.

1710519554149.pngReportedly, people were getting concerend by the coloured stain from weeping fluid and Honda were footing the bill for replacements which were not necessary. I guess it is almost impossible to create a perfect seal for a shaft spinning in very wet liquid. So there is an air gap between the seal and the engine - so that any weeping fluid cannot get into the oil. And that is where the weep hole comes in. Let it escape rather than building up pressure and eventually getting through the oil seal ?

The text in the same later manual for the pre-'07 models is identical - except the word 'hole' is used instead of 'hose'.

So it isn't even talking about small drips of fluid, which are OK.
It has to reach the proportion of continuous flow while the engine is running, to be of concern.

Whether that is concern for the H bank balance, or concern for the owner is not clear. But - the engine needs to be kept cool. If there is coolant in there, then the engine isn't at risk. I fluid keeps leaking the fluid level in the reservoid will drop, and will need to be almost empty before there is any risk to the engine.

A few drips when the engine stops and things are cooling down faster than other things - is nothing. If you are concerned, make yourself a dipstick for the fluid bottle, measure it with the engine cold and put a line on it. Then check a week later. (The reservoir will change level as the bike heats up / cools down as the fluid, hoses and engine change volumes as the engine cools - hence the need to measure at the same temperature.

I recently read this post, which you may found helpful, especially post #4

"Ceramic water pump seals can and do drip out some coolant out the weep hole during temperature changes. It's my belief that many needless water pump change have been made due a few teaspoons of coolant on the floor. Did the coolant level drop any during the mild winter rides? "

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The coolant levels will never appear to drop because of the overflow tank. The coolant expands and shows normal, then pulls back into the engine when it cools down.
You'll not see any coolant on the ground underneath the bike either, because it normally steams off while running down the side of the engine block.
If you remove your lower right cowl, or even the right tip over cover, and look at the side of your engine, you may notice a large green stain ;)
Honda, and several other makers are having issues with water pumps at the moment, this includes cars, SUV's, Goldwings, CB500X, and several other motorcycles.
Seems they've been purchasing/installing/selling some defective parts.
Google is your friend/check for recalls.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here are some examples of a ST1300 leaking waterpump

This is a 2003-2007 waterpump leak. In the UK, that would include a 2002. You really can't see the square hole here, that well, because it is all black.
WaterPumpLeak-s.jpg

Here is a 2008 to 2017 waterpump weep pipe/hose, and leakage would be at the end of the hose.

Coolant Drain Holes-2008.jpg

This is where the confusion lies. This is the top of the engine where the valley drains. If you wash your bike, you will have gunk coming down the square hole. If you have a hose leak in the valley, you'll see a darker colored water coming through it.

Square Hole 5-engine valley.jpg

Hope this helps!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda, and several other makers are having issues with water pumps at the moment, this includes cars, SUV's, Goldwings, CB500X, and several other motorcycles.
Seems they've been purchasing/installing/selling some defective parts.
Google is your friend/check for recalls.
By recalls do you mean fuel pumps?

The only water pump recall out there is on the Honda Clarity - about 1100 2017-2018 vehicles.

Bike
St1300PA
I was having an excess of water coming out of my weep hole on my 03 st I put a new water pump seal and shaft in it ,to my surprise the real culprit was the radiator cap when I pressure tested it up to I believe 26 pounds it still wasn’t blowing off for a couple of dollars I could’ve saved a lot of trouble by just testing it, ( I can’t remember the last time I ran into a bad cap ) buy a new cap and see what happens, a water pump seal job requires the front engine cover to be removed.

OP
OP
Hondatechnut12
Yupper, so many fuel pump problems, I'm a tech at a Honda dealer on the car side. We've been doing Denso fuel pump recalls for a few years now. Honestly Honda isn't what it used to be quality wise, Since 2016 quality has gotten worse and worse, just so many A/C condenser warranty extensions, fuel injectors on 4cyl and V6's are very problematic and now head gaskets on 1.5T and 2.0T engines are added to our list, not to mention the 2 2024 Honda Pilots that we have sitting at the shop currently waiting for engine blocks which due to crack cylinder walls. Disappointing to say the least :( Come on Honda!!

Bike
St1300PA
if you have a leak in the valley of your engine in could come out the weep hole, when I did the water pump job I drilled a hole in the water pump cover that goes on the front engine cover , the hole is in line with the hole in engine valley hole , this is so I have an inspection hole in case of a new leak you can look in and see if it’s a pump or valley leak, finished it with a rubber plug to keep dirt out.

Top Bottom