Courses not farkles

Bike
2014 ST1300
As I mentioned in the coffee thread, I'm taking a refresher course this weekend given that I've been away from riding for.....jesus wept....37 years at least. I bought my bike last July and had fun with it over the tail end of the summer along with buying various and sundry farkles. I picked up with the farkle obsession this spring. But slowly it seems to have permeated my brain that maybe farkle money, at least for now, is better spent dumping knowledge, techniques etc into said brain. To that end, I've done some research and there's a school in Michigan, MidWest Police Motorcycle Training that seems to get high marks. I was wondering if anyone here has attended and what their thoughts were? It's going on the wish list but will have to wait till the border opens up again, so likely next summer. In the interim, any other suggestions for improving the craft? I picked up David Hough's books and am re-reading them at night.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
As I mentioned in the coffee thread, I'm taking a refresher course this weekend given that I've been away from riding for.....jesus wept....37 years at least. I bought my bike last July and had fun with it over the tail end of the summer along with buying various and sundry farkles. I picked up with the farkle obsession this spring. But slowly it seems to have permeated my brain that maybe farkle money, at least for now, is better spent dumping knowledge, techniques etc into said brain. To that end, I've done some research and there's a school in Michigan, MidWest Police Motorcycle Training that seems to get high marks. I was wondering if anyone here has attended and what their thoughts were? It's going on the wish list but will have to wait till the border opens up again, so likely next summer. In the interim, any other suggestions for improving the craft? I picked up David Hough's books and am re-reading them at night.

Why go all the way to Michigan, which you won't likely be able to do this summer anyway, when Calgary has quite a few courses available? Unless you plan to ride like you are on a track day everyday, the link to the Alberta Safety Council (Edmonton) below has a course specifically designed for advanced riders. It isn't a beginner's course. You ride your own bike too.

Even though I was a m/c instructor through much of the '80's, when I got my ST in '95, having been away from a bike for about 6 years, I took the BC Safety Council Advanced course to re-hone the skills and get confident with the 700 pound beast. It was well worth the money and I imagine the Alberta school would be modelled the same as the BC course was.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
U just told my story! 40 yrs for me without a ride. Ive done a ton of miles but still want a course. As far as farkles, i am working on the functional farkles. Seat, camping gear, etc.
best to you on your return.

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
Why go all the way to Michigan, which you won't likely be able to do this summer anyway, when Calgary has quite a few courses available? Unless you plan to ride like you are on a track day everyday, the link to the Alberta Safety Council (Edmonton) below has a course specifically designed for advanced riders. It isn't a beginner's course. You ride your own bike too.

Even though I was a m/c instructor through much of the '80's, when I got my ST in '95, having been away from a bike for about 6 years, I took the BC Safety Council Advanced course to re-hone the skills and get confident with the 700 pound beast. It was well worth the money and I imagine the Alberta school would be modelled the same as the BC course was.

But that would mean going to.....spits on the ground......Edmonton :)

I take your point though and I have looked into advanced courses here in Calgary and likely will take one of those as well. The one in Michigan just had rave reviews and looks like a pretty comprehensive course run by former Police motorcycle instructors. Plus, I have family in Ontario so combine it with a ride out. But yeah, it will have to wait a year or two.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had had a long break from cycling as well, like 10 years or so. I knew I was rusty and knew that I needed a refresher so I pulled out an ancient "Ride Like a Pro" DVD I squirreled away a long time ago. I then began my search for a course locally and to my surprise I found the same guy, Jerry Palladino, right in my backyard. I just finished the course today and it was very challenging, I learned a lot and only fell down once, but that mistake is going to cost me a saddle bag repaint. :mad: If you take the course, think about removing your bags!

If you can find a location near you I highly recommend it. It is all low speed but it all translates to the real world.

Ride Like A Pro – Ride Like A Pro.com

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
This looks very cool and not too far from me. HOWEVER... If you use your own motorcycle you must have abs brakes for the road speed portion.*
Another
reason I should sell mine and get a bike with ABS. I need to show this to my wife... :D:run1:

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
So.......

I was out for a ride today and was pinning it through some twisties and realized that my ego was writing cheques my skills couldn't cash so I backed off a bit. There was no particular incident that scared me but rather as I was deep into a left corner, a guy was riding the other way and I took my left hand off the bars to wave, all two finger salute down low. As I came out of the curve I thought to myself, you dummy, cool over safe?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So.......

I was out for a ride today and was pinning it through some twisties and realized that my ego was writing cheques my skills couldn't cash so I backed off a bit. There was no particular incident that scared me but rather as I was deep into a left corner, a guy was riding the other way and I took my left hand off the bars to wave, all two finger salute down low. As I came out of the curve I thought to myself, you dummy, cool over safe?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?
Precisely! A small road irregularity right then could have caused you to lose it with only one hand. I never take my hands off the bars in situations like that and besides, this whole waving thing is well past prime time, IMHO and has been for many years now. I generally only give acknowledgment to other ST's I see, whether 1100, or 1300.

Top Bottom