CRf450RL Anyone.........??

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Not for the price those are selling for!
Congratulations on the new toy, you deserve to have nice things.
You still have the CRF250L?

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Not for the price those are selling for!
Congratulations on the new toy, you deserve to have nice things.
You still have the CRF250L?
Yes...but probably not much longer.
The guy took a bath let's just say that. I saved over 4k. He was buying a house and loan folks said get rid of all payments.....
T

• Wow
Reactions: TOS

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What are you asking for the little fella?
Now since you have a bigger one to get your mail ….

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
What are you asking for the little fella?
Now since you have a bigger one to get your mail ….
Well......
And ya gotta pop a few wheelies while getting your mail .... :shrug2: :headbang:
The little fella seems to be in high demand these days. And I got some nice extras on it. And it only has 1600 miles on it.
Gonna start high and see what happens.

Cause ya know.....they get 75mpg...!!! And gas doesn't grow on trees

And freight to Tucson would be crazy......

T

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yes...but probably not much longer.
The guy took a bath let's just say that. I saved over 4k. He was buying a house and loan folks said get rid of all payments.....
T
And the best part......

6 months old and only 73 miles on the clock. He rode it twice since buying it. It now has 81 miles on it....... :run1: :rofl1:

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
After spending a little time cleaning up the new to me bike, I can tell it was straight off the show room floor and only ridden 73 miles.

The only way to truly get to know a bike is a deep cleaning and find all the stuff. And get to know a bike.....

Straight from a dealer I found a side panel / plastic cover that had three bolts of three different lengths. Saw one was loose, and no, it was not in the right hole. Removed all three, found that some one had not put the two long ones in the right holes. Don't think it was a dealer installed item...but ya never know.

So far ..... first impressions are.....this is a dirt bike made to be street legal. Very strong in the low gears. I have a new seat ordered...cause the factory seat is like a 2x4....! Hense the dirt bike heritage. Would be ok if you stood up all the time.... Not this ol boy...

It is a kick to ride. I Had a xr400r back in the early 90s. This would kick it's ass..! Both great bikes...but who needs this much horse power...??

OK. Maybe me for a couple more years :run1: :wave1::headbang::rofl1:

T

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
New seat and rack arrived and are installed. Huge improvement on the seat. Rode just 17 miles today and after just 10 on the old seat I was wanting to stretch and it wasn't comfortable. The new seat at 17 miles was very comfortable. Looking forward to a long ride soon.

But after lots of reading and video research, I have learned a few things. I share this for those who may be interested in this bike. This is just my opinion and not an endorsement of any kind for any products.

I learned that because of EPA standards implemented in the 80s and 90s, that introducing any new bike or converting a current production race bike, that was developed outside the EPA Standards, to a street bike, was a challenge. The result was an extremely leaned out ECU from the factory to pass emissions.

That is why there are a couple bikes in each Manufacturer's line up that haven't changed in 30 plus years. They run great and are good bikes....that have higher emissions. They are grandfathered in. Honda xr650 is a perfect example. Unchanged for 30 plus years..!
Any new bike for street needs to meet the new emissions standards.

The Issues I have experienced are the same as what is posted on the interweb about this bike.
Too twitchy and wants to die at low rpms with sudden throttle input, and it takes lots of clutching to smooth it out.
The solution is a new after market ECU that has a richer and less "snappy" one-off response. First fear is just way to tall and the fuel delivery is harsh.

So there are three big ECU replacement unit available. Hundreds of dollars, and some are delayed because of supply issues. Some focus on performance and power. But what I wanted was smooth and easy power. Found one that has ten different setting based on how much modifications have been done to the bike.
It has an "Old Man Setting". Factory bike no mods, just smooth it out... So that part shows up sometime in the next 12 weeks........:confused:

If you are thinking about buying this bike, just know you will be spending a few more dollars to fix what the EPA forced upon us . All aftermarket mods are not for on road use.... Beware........!!!!

T

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Nice ride Todd! That bike will either keep you young, or get you broken. Set up some jumps on the end of the runway and see what she will do.....Evel ;)

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Yes Sir! Upgraded my old XR650L for this CRF450L late 2020, mine came with all the 'necessary' farkles, seat,tank,bash plate, rack, ecu and yosh system. I've since added hand guards, small nav tower, rad guards, 80/20 tires, folding mirrors and heated grips. Its an awesome bike, took me many miles to get used to its character, now I love the thing!
20210320_141449.jpg

IMG_2265.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom