Cruise control not working

I recently purchased a 2005 st 1300 with an after market cruise and heated grip set up. The grips heat up just fine, but I cannot get the cruise to work. The power light comes on, but it won’t capture and hold the speed. have included a pic of the unit and, as you can see, it has absolutely no markers identifying the brand or model, which is making it extremely difficult to trouble shoot. When I purchased it, the previous owner had disconnected the unit from the battery, so I just reconnected it and got the grips to work

Anyone have any ideas where I should start? I’d really like for the cruise to work.

On a side note, the Speedo is off by about 10 mph at highway speeds. When it says I am going 90, I’m really going around 80. Are the two issues related?

Attachments

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Your cruise is made by McCruise, an Australian company with and outstanding product and customer support. Their website has some excellent documentation, however the level of docs you need may not be directly accessible from the site.

I have electronic copies (PDF) of virtually all the docs they produce for the ST1300 and would be happy to share with you.

PM me and I can send them via email.

Tom

Bike
04 ST1300
I recently purchased a 2005 st 1300 with an after market cruise and heated grip set up. The grips heat up just fine, but I cannot get the cruise to work. The power light comes on, but it won’t capture and hold the speed. have included a pic of the unit and, as you can see, it has absolutely no markers identifying the brand or model, which is making it extremely difficult to trouble shoot. When I purchased it, the previous owner had disconnected the unit from the battery, so I just reconnected it and got the grips to work

Anyone have any ideas where I should start? I’d really like for the cruise to work.

On a side note, the Speedo is off by about 10 mph at highway speeds. When it says I am going 90, I’m really going around 80. Are the two issues related?
The control switch does look like McCruise. But look under the passenger seat to confirm that the control module is from McCruise. That is where they suggest to place it. Also, there is a safety check, that if you dont press the brake lever the cruise will not engage. McCruise is very reliable. As suggested by STRider contact their customer support.
As far as the speedo is concerned 10 mph is a bit of a stretch. At 90 mph I am at about 84 mph when compared with GPS. A 6% difference is what everyone has experienced. Don't believe the two are interconnected.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Have the tail-brake lights been changed over to LED? I have Tim,s ST1300 here and that was the problem.

Good points made by all regarding the McCruise equipment. They also make a speedometer correction which, at least on my bike, corrected it so it is now spot on. Yes, their equipment is excellent.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does the McCruise speedometer correction affect the odometer accuracy? I thought that was the case with the Speedometer Healer – it corrected the speedo accuracy at the expense of the odd accuracy.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Does the McCruise speedometer correction affect the odometer accuracy? I thought that was the case with the Speedometer Healer – it corrected the speedo accuracy at the expense of the odd accuracy.
Yes it does, as speedo and odo read from the same sensor, and speedo healers are inserted in that feed.
So if you correct the speedo, you will need to apply a correction factor to get true mileage on your odo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom