Cruise Control

splat

Ron
Bike
2004 ST1300
In my intro I mentioned my ST had aftermarket electronic curise control which was a surprise as I had no idea it was available. Rick, Tim and others asked what make I had and mentioned they had Audiovox. That also is new knowledge to me.

My unit is a "Motorcycle Cruise Control" out of Mount Waverley Victoria 3149 Australia. It seems to be comprised of an electronic ICU, a number of wires, a serveo, switch cluster, and rear wheel magnetic pick up.

It all is done very neat, I have no idea by whom. It seems well engineered and laid out. I have not been able to get on the "slab" and try it out yet, I had to drop wheels and get tires mounted, do a complete inspection on bike to make sure I got what I thought I got.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I did. I know it turns on but that is about it.

Any one out there have the same unit and if so any surprises I should know about.

regards
Ron

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
That's one very expensive farkle. You were lucky to get it along with the bike. I've considered one, but haven't gotten to the point of committing the funds and installation time. (Yet.)

Bike
06 ST
I had the Autovox on a 07 C-14 I owned and it was ok..did the job. I did not like all the cutting into the wiring and added vaccum canister I had to install. I have an 06 ST with the Break-A-Way throttle lock and I am very happy with it. I can't quckly lock the throttle to hold speed and rest my hand. If I want a little more or little less throttle I can twist the throttle up/down to adjust the speed as needed while in locked position.. If I did a lot of X-courtry tourning and on Nevada type roads, as example, the electronic cruise would be great. Most of us have lotsa throttle adjustments we have to do with our normal riding, shifting/stopping and such. Just my 2 sense...Dave B. Denver

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Nice units, but hard to rationalize the cost over a $100 AudioVox, and if you were lucky enough to score one for $26 when Kragan was clearing them out....

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I installed the McCruise on my '05 and it is worth every penny.

Thinks to look out for: the speed sensor is a Hall Effect device on a bracket mounted at the left rear of the swing arm. That is sometimes improperly installed after a tire change. Make sure the bracket was not bent, and that the washer under the axle nut was not omitted. It should be under the bracket. There are little magnets in the hex sockets of the brake disk that are sensed. You need another high-strength magnet to remove them should the disk need replacement. Clearance between the disk and sensor is 1/8 inch.

The controller box should be under the seat or the luggage rack.

There is a connection to your brake light switches that disengage the cruise when brakes are applied. You should have enough free play in your front brake lever to click the switch before the brakes actually come on. Very handy for cancelling cruise.

Also adjust throttle free play so that you can find a nice dead zone where you are neither overriding the cruise set speed, nor trying to slow it down.

When you change your air filter, dig a little deeper under the air box,and you will find the mechanical slotted drum that actuates the throttle linkage. It is easy to roll on more throttle to accelerate for passing, but almost impossible to slow it down by rolling back.

The vacuum servo in front of the rear shock preload uses manifold vacuum to open the throttles until the set speed is reached. You will enjoy the fact that the cruise will also maintain set speed on a steep downhill by closing the throttles.

My only complaint arose when trying to maintain a high speed into a headwind at over 9,000 feet elevation. Not enough differential between manifold vacuum and atmospheric pressure to overcome the throttle return spring!

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have had mine installed since the fall of 2004. Even though it was expensive I am glad I got one from MC Cruise. Another friend has the Audiovox and when riding in 3+ hours of torrential rain his kept turning on because water had worked through the silicone sealant he had applied to the handlebar mounted control. I am glad I don't have one that can turn on without my permission. :burnout

Ron, when you do a rear wheel tire change make sure the magnets located in bolt heads for the disc brake don't get left behind, or somewhere they don't belong. I give mine a quick check before the wheel goes back on. They are used for speed measurement on the MC Cruise.

Tim :03biker:

Bike
2013 H-D FLHTK
STOC #
Hi All,

I have an old thumb activated type throttle lock (probably a Vista Cruise) that even though I adjusted it will not hold the throttle. Came with the bike (2003 ST1300).

I am contemplating getting a Throttlemeister unit but would like some feedback first. A true (electronic) cruise control for this bike is not in the budget at this time.

I've read one review on motorcyclebloggers.com for the TM unit.

Appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Bill

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Ron,

Good assessment from Tom S in post #7. I've installed two of these units and have enjoyed trouble free operation in my '03 for the past half dozen or so years. The boys down under did a good job of putting these units together.

John

Top Bottom