CSS-100 and speed sensing using ABS

Hi,

Proud owner of a 94 ST1100, I trying to install a CSS-100 (audiovox) cruise control to my ST1100. All the research I have do so far indicates the system uses RPM pulses, but it also shows it can use speed sensing. I've seen a few write-ups on different bikes which use magnetic pick-up for speed control. Since my ST1100 has ABS/TCS the electrical schematic shows wheel speed sensors. Has anyone ever used the signal from the ABS system for cruise control speed monitoring ?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I haven't installed an audiovox, but I would never use the ABS sensors or tap into them for any reason. I would suspect that any malfunction or glitch could make the ABS inop or worse. Regardless if there wasn't any issues with tapping into the system, how would you get the correct ppm to set the input? I am not an audiovox guy but with the Rostra that would not work.

Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
It is much easier and safe to use the coil pick up. Is 4800 rpm enough for you? Dip switch can be set to a higher RPM than in the write ups. Do not forget the brake light pick up. I sealed the controller with RTV and strain relief on the wires.

Bruce P.

OP
OP
It is much easier and safe to use the coil pick up. Is 4800 rpm enough for you? Dip switch can be set to a higher RPM than in the write ups. Do not forget the brake light pick up. I sealed the controller with RTV and strain relief on the wires.

Bruce P.
RPM is good, but speed would be better. I'm actually going to try and retrofit à goldwing right hand controller which already has cruise control buttons. Shoudn't be too complicated.

Bike
2010 ST1300
RPM is good, but speed would be better. I'm actually going to try and retrofit à goldwing right hand controller which already has cruise control buttons. Shoudn't be too complicated.
Since your bike does not have a fluid filled torque converter your RPM's and speed (tire revolutions) are mechanically linked and are essentially the same. Multiply your RPM times a constant and you will have your speed, and v.v. If by "better" you mean easier for you to hook up, then go for it. However, it is my understanding that these cc's are designed to pick up RPM pulses, so why reinvent the wheel?

Top Bottom