Custom tank mount

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A
I was browsing craigslist (Portland) and came across an '04 ST1300 w/ 29K miles for $7500 (not mine :) ). In the photos, I saw something I thought was pretty cool so I picked up the phone and ended up talking for about a half hour with Toni about his bike (and all things ST). Toni happens to be a machinist and he made this custom GPS mount that mounts to five bolts that surround the filler lid. I asked him if I could put up the photo here. He said it would be OK. He even forwarded the AutoCad dimensions to me (very cool of him, I'd say). So wha'dya think?

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You can buy something a lot like that for mounting cameras. I forget who makes it, but it's pretty much the same arrangement.

--Mark

OP
OP
st13fundred

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I've always thought the tank bags that connect to a permanent mounting ring on the tank filler were the way to go too (vs. the magnetic kind). Another variation on that idea I guess.

OP
OP
st13fundred

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A
Could you post those AutoCAD drawings for all to share.

Thanks,

Stan
I think I should be able to, if it's OK w/ the moderators? The drawing is a top view, showing a couple different radii, counter bore depths, length, etc.. The only thing not showing is the thickness. I believe he said it was 5/8 or 3/4 inch aluminum. The drawing is on another computer, so it will be Monday before I can post it. Toni said he wasn't really set up to make/sell them.

OP
OP
st13fundred

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A
As requested, I've uploaded the dimensions for the tank mount (as a pdf file).

It looks like the counter-bored (CB) hole locations are specified as measurements on a bolt circle using Cartesian (X-Y) coordinates from the center of the fuel filler.

Not quite sure what the "far side bosses" dimensions are indicating. Is it saying the rear-most CB holes have a different diameter and depth than the front-most CB holes? If so, the rear CBs are shallower than the front (to compensate for anticipated additional weight at the front of the shelf?). Thru-hole diameter appears to be the same at all four holes.

As I said earlier, the thickness isn't specified.

All the usual cautions and disclaimers are in effect: Use at your own risk.. Not responsible for incorrect dimensions.. Not responsible for incorrect usage.. It is up to you to make sure stop-to-stop steering range isn't impeded by the tank mount (and items attached to the shelf do not impede steering).. It is also up to you to make sure vision isn't obstructed by items attached to the shelf, etc..

If you read this, thanks again Toni!

Attachments

Last edited:

JZH

International Bodger
The fuel cap mounting bolts are one of the nice commonalities among many different Hondas (apart from the ST1100, IIRC!), which makes the idea of using them as a mounting point rather attractive. In addition to the Tank Locker tank bag system (mentioned above, I think), there is also the one made by SW-Motech in Germany. I'd like to use a similar mounting system for my own electronics package, which I hope to use on several of my bikes. Thanks for the drawing.

Ciao,

Top Bottom