Customizing seat

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Thanks to member Talonst, I got a stock seat to experiment with. Got some Seadek foam boat deck material, made one small piece (that I forgot to photograph) and a second larger piece. Used a grinder to feather the edges on both pieces, for a smooth transition. Wanted to level the seat more, I always feel like I'm sliding forward into the tank. I'll hit Harbor Freight tomorrow and pick up some ½ x ¼ staples (for my HF air stapler), hand fit looks like stock cover will still work. I'll report how it goes 20221109_185524.jpg20221109_185544.jpg

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
The Seadek material is firm but not hard, the grey layer is just under ¼ thick, ⅛ grey and ⅛ black, that's what you see at the edge where I tapered it off. The first layer is ⅛, so total of ⅜

Bike
04 ST1300
"Wanted to level the seat more, I always feel like I'm sliding forward into the tank. "

That seems to be everyone's problem. Even after getting the seats redone the forward slide is there to a degree. I've heard that from some folks who have RDL's. The seat is housed on the bike on a descending angle, which causes the forward slide.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
"Wanted to level the seat more, I always feel like I'm sliding forward into the tank. "

That seems to be everyone's problem. Even after getting the seats redone the forward slide is there to a degree. I've heard that from some folks who have RDL's. The seat is housed on the bike on a descending angle, which causes the forward slide.
I found some material on Amazon that's supposed to be grippy to stop sliding, might try it, wasn't much cost

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

When getting a seat redone like an RDL, you can request they change the seat angle a little to lessen the forward slide. It's trial and error on their part and if you're not close to their facility, shipping gets expensive.
What I'm going to try soon is to replace the front seat latch by making it a little taller. This has already been done by many here, either making them or buying one from a poster on here.

To the thread starter......good job modifying your seat. I had contemplated that as well during my bikes upcoming hibernation.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The low and middle positions of a STock seat put the front lower than the back. I don't know if that's true of highest position as I nly used it a few times.

I put the front of the seat in the middle position and squeeze the rear of the seat to the lowest position instead of the middle position shown in the owner's manual. I can flat foot the bike better than when it's in the highest position. Best part is that there's no forward slide as this arrangement and I can still flat foot as desired.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The low and middle positions of a STock seat put the front lower than the back. I don't know if that's true of highest position as I nly used it a few times.

I put the front of the seat in the middle position and squeeze the rear of the seat to the lowest position instead of the middle position shown in the owner's manual. I can flat foot the bike better than when it's in the highest position. Best part is that there's no forward slide as this arrangement and I can still flat foot as desired.
+ 1. Back of the seat is more neutral and allows you to actually sit into the seat and relieves the leg pressure on the pegs from having the seat in the standard position with it’s positive (forward) push. Their was also instant relief on my wrists and shoulders.
Best part, no re-model of seat and no additional cost for a new seat. Have ridden thousands of miles with this easy mod/hack. Stock seat rules!:rofl1:

Bike
R1200rt
before the seat cover goes back on, cover the foam with foam smoothing liner. It's 1/8 thick and prevents the lines from the different foams showing up in the final cover. Inexpensive and should be able to get it easily. see

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Got it done, about ⅜ inch taller, much flatter, only done a short 30 minute ride, but don't feel like I'm sliding forward as bad. Been cold here (for Texans, 45° high) so haven't taken a long ride yet to check the comfort level. Might still replace stock cover with some no slip covering I saw on Amazon. But overall I'm happy so far 20221115_172243.jpg20221115_172234.jpg

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Well, I guess I have to ring this one a winner, road to and from work, 26 miles both ways and never felt like I was sliding forward, long ride comfort yet to be determined. Ok so ½ winner so far LoL

Bike
2010 ST1300
Now you are an expert in removing and reinstalling the seat cover, you might consider a heated seat kit.

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA

Agreed that most riders complain about the seat causes you to slide forward. Even the 3 height adjustments do nothing to change the angle. The following 3 pics solved it for me. Notice the height difference between the front and rear where the backrest meets. The brackets i made put the front in #2 height position and the rear easily slides into the lowest. Have to spread the front so the side locks do not engage. Worked for me to level the seat.

Attachments

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Agreed that most riders complain about the seat causes you to slide forward. Even the 3 height adjustments do nothing to change the angle. The following 3 pics solved it for me. Notice the height difference between the front and rear where the backrest meets. The brackets i made put the front in #2 height position and the rear easily slides into the lowest. Have to spread the front so the side locks do not engage. Worked for me to level the seat.
Very good idea, I'll have to work up something like it, thanks

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
@Jambriwal Looks good, we seem to have the same backrest, how did you get yours to go back?
84CA3021-3E8C-4F88-A581-48FEE55A001E.jpeg
I have the same grasshopper back rest also.
It looks like he bent the bracket a little so it leans back more than yours and mine.
Not sure if you have the same issue but there is definitely a tighter fit to remove the rear seat when the front seat is in the highest position with backrest on. When the seat is on the lowest position, the two seats separate much easier.

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have the same grasshopper back rest also.
It looks like he bent the bracket a little so it leans back more than yours and mine.
Not sure if you have the same issue but there is definitely a tighter fit to remove the rear seat when the front seat is in the highest position. When the seat is on the lowest position, the two seats separate much easier.
There is a position that it’s easier to take it off as one piece than to try and separate. I see the bend, not sure I want to go that route. Sent an email to grasshopper a few weeks ago about making one that is 1.5” back farther, have not heard back. When I rebuilt the seat I forgot about the backrest and I sit on the front edge of my work instead of the middle. :nuts: I have an old small gel pad that may make its way onto their bracket. I love the backrest on longer trips, around town I can live without it, prefer with.

Top Bottom