CW Review of VFR 1200F

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
It seems Cycle World sees the new VFR 1200 as more of an offering in the sport bike market than the sport touring market. It also seems pretty clear from the pictures that hard cases don't really belong on this design. It seems somewhat unclear what this means for the future of the ST? I did find it interesting that the review specifically referenced the digital speedometer being perfectly accurate as measured by CW. I wonder how Honda was finally able to make an accurate speedometer after all these years?
:slv13:

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Guys it's not a sport bike. It certainly is more sport then touring.

Here's the reasoning:

sport bike weight = about 380 lbs
VFR weight = a great deal more then that

sport bike clip ons = below the triple tree
VFR clip ons = 2 or 3 inches above the triple tree

The VFR is also much slower then a sport bike (well not so much the new one maybe).

The reason the VFR is so much heavier is the frame is much beefier, for pillion, luggage and the hard bags.

Can tell you for sure, on any sport bike forum, the vfr is not considered a sport bike, it's usually referred to as a slow fat pig actually (well the old ones).

regards ;)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
sport bike weight = about 380 lbs
VFR weight = a great deal more then that
You're not going to see that kind of weight in a liter bike. In the 750- and 650-class bikes, yes, but with those displacements you lose out on a good chunk of the power-to-weight advantage that only gets worse as the riders get heavier. I think even the current 1100RR weighs in around 450, which puts it out of that range. In liter-and-larger bikes, the Blackbird weighs in at just over 500 and the Hayabusa weighs in above 550, and I don't think there'd be any argument that either of those isn't a sport bike.

The F weighs 590, which is unquestionably portly. But it's weight-to-torque ratio is 1:6.21, which is arguably going to haul the mail a lot faster than the 800, which was 1:8.15. This ain't yo daddy's Viffer, that's for sure.

The VFR is also much slower then a sport bike (well not so much the new one maybe).
CW says the VFR-F gets through the quarter mile in 10.33 at 134.85 MPH, which is in the same territory as figures I've seen for the 'Bird. So if performance is the yardstick, I'd say this camel at least has its nose in the tent.

--Mark

STOC #
CW says the VFR-F gets through the quarter mile in 10.33 at 134.85 MPH, which is in the same territory as figures I've seen for the 'Bird. So if performance is the yardstick, I'd say this camel at least has its nose in the tent.

--Mark
But when you get it into the twisties with those pure sportbikes, it will feel like riding a camel. :)

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Haven't looked this up lately, but have to bet it hasn't changed that much. The Suzuki 600 and 750 and the 1000 had about a 10 to 15 lb weight difference.

The Honda cbr RR has always been heavier then the gsxr, somewhat significantly for a sport bike, something like 20 or 30 lbs.

And while the new VFR is fast, which is a great thing, that alone doesn't make it a pure sport bike.

The vfr has always been a kind of "tweener". some say it's a wannabe sport bike, some it's a wannabe tourer.

Honda now classifies it as a "road sport" bike. Insurance will be terrible I'd guess. But it is a bike one can ride a few hundred miles to the twisties. I've ridden a vfr800 over 500 miles in a day, but it's not easy on the ole back!

regards,

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
No arguing the VFR has always been short of a pure sport bike. Even the VFR1200F isn't going to be seen in the AMA races.

According to Honda's (US) web site, the GW is a TOURING bike, the ST is a SPORT TOURING bike and both VFRs fall in to the SPORT bike category. Call it what you want. The VFR1200F looks pretty good now to add the optional bags and ride to the ride, either solo or 2-up. All that seems to be missing is an electric windshield.

Ray

Bike
2006 ST1300
It seems somewhat unclear what this means for the future of the ST?
I think Honda is using the VFR to test out the dual-mode transmission. Once it's perfected, I think they'll merge the VFR and ST together into their mid-range sport tourer, featuring adjustable handlebars so that you can choose between an aggressive ride, or a leisurely tour.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
It seems Cycle World sees the new VFR 1200 as more of an offering in the sport bike market than the sport touring market. It also seems pretty clear from the pictures that hard cases don't really belong on this design. It seems somewhat unclear what this means for the future of the ST?
Honda has never given an indication that the VFR will be a replacement for the ST. Neither has the motorcycle press. There have been, OTOH, numerous reports, including patent drawings and photoshop renders, of an ST replacment based on the VFR driveline, but with a larger fairing, adjustable 'shield, more upright ergos, etc. You shouldn't make any judgements about future ST based on the current VFR.

Top Bottom