Dagnabit! 33 years riding and my first tipover

Bike
1991 ST1100
So my 15 year old has NEVER wanted to ride. Tonight we're heading out for dinner and he says 'let's take the bike'... Done.

There and back, no problem. I pull up to the driveway and come to a stop. He decides it's time to get off and does so to the left side. I wasn't prepared, so needless to say, over we go.

No harm but a barely-perceptible scratch on the tip-guard cover. (Mind you 'barely perceptible' or not, now I gotta order a new one).

Regardless, I'm royally peeved-off that my first-ever tip was in such a stupid manner.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
welcome to the club, and tip-over count is one of the things you can put in your profile. Once that beast gets a little leaned over while standing you're not likely going to save it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are two types of riders here, those who have tipped over their bikes and those who are going to tip over their bikes.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Sounds like you forgot to brief your passenger on the Getting on and off procedures.
Welcome to the other side of the Tip over World. :rolleyes:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bummer!

Sounds like what my brother did a year ago with his passenger.

At least I went 325,000 miles on aST1300s, before I forgot to put down the kick stand and pushed my bike forward off the centerstand, only for it to drop in front of me! :eek:4:

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I forgot to put down the kick stand and pushed my bike forward off the centerstand
I'm on the bike with the kickstand up when I push it off the center stand. Your way works, but my concern would be that the kickstand lands on a high spot where the bike could fall away from me.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm on the bike with the kickstand up when I push it off the center stand. Your way works, but my concern would be that the kickstand lands on a high spot where the bike could fall away from me.
I use to sit on the bike to take it off the centerstand, but my belly was pushing on my tankbag and causing the magnets to rub the tank, so I started pushing it from the left side. As long as I have the kickstand down, there's no problem. But in the last year, twice I pushed it off thinking the kickstand was down. The first time I caught it and kept it from going down. The last time I wasn't so lucky! :eek:4:

Top Bottom