Damn Ducati!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sidecar ? Drool ! I want one. It's on the wrong side though, and the garage would need to be cleaned out. We have garages in the Uk which are slightly shorter, slightly narrower than the average car. I believe that houses with double garages exist, but somehow we never got to look at any of those. It's not going to happen.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Sidecar ? Drool ! I want one. It's on the wrong side though, and the garage would need to be cleaned out. We have garages in the Uk which are slightly shorter, slightly narrower than the average car. I believe that houses with double garages exist, but somehow we never got to look at any of those. It's not going to happen.
Have you ever noticed no matter how big they are it makes no soddin difference. I am talking about garages.
We just fill the things to the point where it becomes a PITA.
If we manage to summon up the enthusiasm to clear it out we manage to fill it up again within days.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I talk to Dad in the garage. He died 24 years ago, but I still talk to him. Usually when I reach for the collection of tobacco tins that I inherited. Mostly labelled by me over 60 years ago when I was a kid. 2BA screws. 5BA screws. 1/4" Whitworth, Copper washers, Knitting machine hooks ... you get the idea. Very useful - some I have cleared out and they now contain ST1300 brake bits, ST1300 fairing fasteners, ST1300 shoulder bolts. These are much more useful.

Other tins contain stuff that 'might come in handy' - a phrase that I also seem to have inherited from Dad. Their contents have been waiting half a century for the day when I reach out and peep in, and they turn out to be just the thing that I am looking for. That day hasn't yet arrived for most of the contents of these tins.

The conversation with Dad usually goes something like this (its a bit one sided). "Now Dad, where did you put those doofers for the thingamajig." I reach for one of the unlabelled tins, and open it.
"Goodness, Dad why are you still keeping these - you have never used them".

Cossack Ural (edited).jpgI then put the lid back on the tin and put it back on the shelf, 'cos I can hear Dad saying - "Just think on .. , they may come in handy." Except this time it is my voice. But Dad does seem to enjoy playing that game.

One tin seems to contain the broken fragments of cast metal 'cross' that carried 4 small needle roller bearing from the universal joint of the drive shaft of my first bike and sidecar in 1976 - a Cossack Ural. This photo was recovered from a biscuit tin in the loft. It has been there for years, just waiting for the day when it might come in useful - should someone happen to mention 'sidecar' and 'garage' in the same thread.

But it's me that can't bear to part with the contents of that tin. It doesn't contain just that broken fragment. Every time I open it looking for something else, a load of memories come flying out and catch me by surprise - and the effect on me is about the same as peeling an onion.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Enzo resented having to build cars for idiots that wanted to ride race cars on the street as status symbols; I see and respect that more than a little in Ducati
Must be hard winter in Canada because that makes no sense...unless you are saying he built and sold them anyway. :rofl1:

Tom

“ The Ferrari is a dream—people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from those lucky few...Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start...Ask a child to draw a car, and certainly he will draw it red.” -

- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Resentment of doing something and doing it are not actions that need to be mutually exclusive of each other.
No matter how much he may have resented selling the cars to what he might have considered to be the wrong crowd, I strongly suspect that he did not resent taking their money to the bank.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What’s the point in getting one if you’re not going to ride or drive the thing???
People speculate on all kinds of items. Leno has a whole garage of vehicles and only some of them ever see sunshine and not often nor long. Bill Harrah did the same. Collect / speculate – two reasons for me not to spend big money on a lot of things. But if you like it and have the money I say "Well done you!"

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Marlon Slack is an Australian guy and truly one of the funniest motorcycle people on YouTube. His first YouTube channel - called Marlon - has a short series called "An honest review of..." in which he gives his take on several bikes including modern Triumphs, the Yamaha SR500 and several others.

One of the best is on the Kawasaki W800 and here it is - but again - NO HOT BEVERAGES...

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Marlon Slack is an Australian guy and truly one of the funniest motorcycle people on YouTube.
THAT was freakin' brilliant! "Bolt on cans – Too Easy" ! Too many funny bits to mention. Thank for that MP! I'm going to check out Marlon and see how he goes.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for that, @MaxPete !
Without meaning to, I plagiarized Robert's post above, when I left Marlon this comment on YouTube:

Say WHAT?! A seven-year-old Kwacker review? Why am I even here?
Because a friend suggested it, and I fell for it and ...*CLICK*.
Don't know who you are, or what you're about, but now I have to subscribe.
This video is flipping brilliant!! (I hope this isn't just a one-off, I want to see MORE like this!)

Bike
2009 ST1300
Think I read the Enzo comment on some Wikipedia link; resentment might not be what was said, but I think it was my impression of the story going of his having to distract himself [even a little ] from his focus on what he enjoyed the most. Who knows what he thought, it's all speculation now but I believe like many in the music industry there were a few idealists in the car and motorcycle design world that transitioned to realists then back once money didn't matter. That's how we ended up with some long production runs of great bikes that didn't change much during year over year declining sales. Who me digress? [Gotta get an Alfred E Neuman Emoji...}

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's how we ended up with some long production runs of great bikes that didn't change much during year over year declining sales.
Can you say Kawasaki KLR650? Or Concourse 1000?
That's what comes to mind, or maybe even the Honda VFR / Interceptor line, but at least they continued to upgrade / modernize those bikes.

And, oh by the way, ...just for you.

alfred e neumanjpg.jpg

Top Bottom