Darkside of the Zmoon

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
if you can't take a 6k miles ride, at least you can add lighting.
Please post some picks of your upgrades. The Skenes may have additional functionality but the Zmoons yellow beam adds some conspicuity in their own right.

The Skenes or one of its variations are supposed to look continuous from head on or in a rearview but "twinkle" or some such when in someone's peripheral vision. Do yours have that functionality and have you tested it? Maybe a walkaround as though you're a passing vehicle?

I don't have the Zmoons but they're on the Getaroundtoit list. If when I'll just leave them on yellow full time and maybe white with the high beams. Maybe.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
I heard back from Morimoto about their lights.
the One Banger insides cannot be rotated 90 degrees to allow a side mount ( to keep the flat beam pattern oriented with the ground ).
The ModPod pattern is conical.
Just thought to share with the group.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Update on the install of the Zmoon and Skene. After multiple attempts at bracketing and one more will happen, they're up and running. I tapped into the position light wire on the left side main harness so as to have the Skenes functioning with the light switch on the right pod (parade bike). I used the sealed micro relay from Cycle Terminal.
IMG_5540.jpeg

I used the quartet harness 9 pin TS function and wired the Skene controller
IMG_5541.jpeg

When I was bench testing with a power supply (no controller), the Skenes didn't have the "flicker", when wired to the controller they do. I have not tested at night or at a distance, but they are bright. I have the Zmoons as fog only on switch 4 and not currently using for conspicuousness.

So far very satisfied with the fit and finish as well as the brightness. The TS function makes me happy.
IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5482.jpeg

These $20.00, now $25.00, lights lasted 60k miles, no complaints. Not sure if dirt or just time has left one dark and one with a very noisy fan on start up. They were hooked up as hi and low originally, however I probably didn't have them aimed right and the "hi beam" was blinding traffic as I passed them. I left them amber and always wanted them to flash as turn signals, but EE is not my forte'. Enter the Photon Blasters from Skene with turn signal function.

IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5431.jpegIMG_5432.jpeg

Im thinking there is a new set of Zmoons in my future as the Skene looks good for being seen, but throws limited light to see the road. I may amend this later as get them bracketed and outside at night. Of course no simple light upgrade is complete without adding unnecessary complexity by including a 6pack of red amber LEDs to the top box. Alas, another thread for another time.

IMG_5433.jpeg

As the great lyricist Billy Joel once said, "If you can't drive with a broken back, at least you can polish the fenders". In my case though it's, if you can't take a 6k miles ride, at least you can add lighting.
I have these lights installed properly however one is amber and one is clear, I changes thew switch then the whole harness same problem. Anybody with a clue what's happening? Thanks

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have these lights installed properly however one is amber and one is clear, I changes thew switch then the whole harness same problem. Anybody with a clue what's happening? Thanks
It sounds like you have one light's white-light wire and the other light's yellow-light wire tied together.

(Replacing parts is a terrible method of trouble-shooting.)

It sounds like you have one light's white-light wire and the other light's yellow-light wire tied together.

(Replacing parts is a terrible method of trouble-shooting.)
There's only 3 wires, wht, blk and red on the light, and on the harness yellow , blk and red. the 2 lights are spaced 3 feet apart, I don't know how anything could get mixed up?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I had that happen. There was an internal grounding to the frame of the light. that should not be there in one of my lights. It would cause the light to act oddly with it not switching properly. Once I isolated the light from the frame (I mounted mine on the metal forks) it solved the problem. It made it hard to troubleshoot as when I took the light off (not grounded to the bike) and just had the 3 wires connected (positive to yellow, positive to white and ground wires) it worked fine. Attach it to the bike so the metal housing of the light touched the bike frame and nope, it wouldn't switch properly.

Quality control on these lights is so-so, but that's reflected in the price :)

I had that happen. There was an internal grounding to the frame of the light. that should not be there in one of my lights. It would cause the light to act oddly with it not switching properly. Once I isolated the light from the frame (I mounted mine on the metal forks) it solved the problem. It made it hard to troubleshoot as when I took the light off (not grounded to the bike) and just had the 3 wires connected (positive to yellow, positive to white and ground wires) it worked fine. Attach it to the bike so the metal housing of the light touched the bike frame and nope, it wouldn't switch properly.

Quality control on these lights is so-so, but that's reflected in the price :)
Thanks for your help, let me see if I have this right, the lights needs to be grounded to the metal part of the forks? mine aren't grounded at all, they're mounted to the fairing. How about the relays, they seem to not be grounded at all. I am totally grateful, ZMOON has no tech support, and Amazon hasn't a clue what I'm saying.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks for your help, let me see if I have this right, the lights needs to be grounded to the metal part of the forks? mine aren't grounded at all, they're mounted to the fairing. How about the relays, they seem to not be grounded at all. I am totally grateful, ZMOON has no tech support, and Amazon hasn't a clue what I'm saying.
The lights only need to be connected by the 3 wires. I forget the colors, but both lights are the same. One wire is ground, one wire is +12v for the white LED and the other wire is +12v for the yellow LED. The only ground they need to work is the ground wire.

One of mine was messed up internally (when the metal housing of the light touched metal of the bike) so perhaps one of yours is too in some way.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If I had to guess, one light is shorting inside and looping thru the second.. effectively using one of the power wires as a ground to the 2nd light.

It might be best to return them for another set.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... just had the 3 wires connected (positive to yellow, positive to white ...

Did you try swapping the light wires on one lamp to the other positive wires? Maybe it was wired opposite by mistake at the factory.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Since I'm here... update to the Zmoons, had to relocate again, the added weight of the Skene lights made the single point bracket fail.

Moved the fulcrum back, and added a rubber washer.
IMG_6387.jpegIMG_6388.jpegIMG_6390.jpeg

*Edit for spelling

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
@Willsmotorcycle Everytime this post pops up, it reminds me that I have a set of these lights to install. I have them on the Versys, but need to get the ones mounted on the ST1300. I think I have relays and switches.

John

Top Bottom