Darkside Tires and NC Motor Vehicle Inspections

STOC #
It we Darksiders want to be a contrary bunch, so be it.
But Darksiders really are not that "contrary" when it comes to tires. Gold Wing trikes have car tires on the back axles. The Can Am Spyder/Roadster has car tires on the all three wheels. Someone pointed out that some custom roadster/rods have motorcycle tires on the front wheels. Custom low riders and rice burner cars often have the craziest low profile tires I've ever seen. Trucks and Jeeps, equipped with wild riser kits, have huge tires. There is no shortage of unorthodox application of tires throughout the motor industry. I think darksiders need to get out of this mindset that you are doing something way out of the box. In the grand scheme of things, you really are not.

TPadden

Tom Padden
There is no shortage of unorthodox application of tires throughout the motor industry. I think darksiders need to get out of this mindset that you are doing something way out of the box. In the grand scheme of things, you really are not.
True for all the above ....... until you start asking questions looking for "official" answers ;).

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I really don't understand why everyone gets so worked up. The sky isn't going to fall- either from running CTs, or from someone trying to ban them. Not gonna happen, period. There are two issues to consider:

-Insurance companies. Does YOUR policy (not your friend's, cousins, brother in laws, etc.) policy state anywhere in it that a CT is not allowed on your bike? Does it state anywhere that only MC tires are allowed? No? Then they have no right to deny a claim.

-State inspections. Same questions...unless YOUR state has a law specifically forbidding a CT on a bike, or requiring only MC tires, then a CT is allowed. Gut feelings and assumptions aren't legal grounds to disallow running a CT.

Next subject- those scared that CTs will suddenly be banned. Apparently you haven't thought this through very well. There are legal steps that must happen before laws are changed.

-Someone has to propose a change, and the first questions asked will be Why? Is there a safety risk? Give examples of accidents or injuries. So far I haven't heard of a single accident that can be blamed on running a CT. If it manages to get past the first step (unlikely), most likely a costly study will be proposed. The question will be asked again- why should the state spend the time and money on a study? Has there been sufficient examples of accidents, injuries, etc. to warrant a study about the effects of running a CT on a bike? As you can see, unless there are suddenly lots of cases of CTs causing crashes, its unlikely they will ever be "banned". And if, for some strange reason a couple states DO manage to outlaw them, it won't affect everyone.

Funny thing though, we are such a small segment of the riding population that nobody cares. How many riders run car tires? A thousand? A couple thousand? Nobody is going to waste time investigating an average of 50 darkside riders per state. I think they have bigger things to worry about than people using car tires on bikes without having accidents- they don't even have helmet laws in all 50 states (not that I agree with them, just using an example), and that would save many lives.

Considering the odd, strange, and poor handling motorcycles that have been built through the years, I really doubt anybody of substance really cares about us running car tires. If anybody was really concerned with unsafe motorcycles, I think there are some other places they could start before getting to car tires on bikes.

Top Bottom