Dead 28A alternator, pointing a shop towards 40A

Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
Well, after dying on me twice and getting towed once, my charging system has failed at 92k miles. 1994, so it's the 28A alternator.

I do not have the mechanical experience to pull the 1100 apart myself, so I am planning on having a shop do the maintenance. They want to either replace the 28A, or send it off to be remanufactured. I'm trying to point them in the direction to get ahold of the parts needed for the 40A upgrade, and they are looking into it.

Should I replace the 28A with a new 28A, or go for remanufacture? Also, regarding possibly doing the 40A, what can I pass along to the shop to point them in the right direction for parts?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
This web site has a good explanation of the 40 Amp upgrade.

http://koczarski.com/mmartin/ST_Maint

However, this will cost an arm and a leg for a shop to do it, so it might be wiser and more economical to just replace the 28 Amp stator. As long as you don't add a bunch of extra electrical farkles to the bike, it should do you another 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
This web site has a good explanation of the 40 Amp upgrade.

http://koczarski.com/mmartin/ST_Maint

However, this will cost an arm and a leg for a shop to do it, so it might be wiser and more economical to just replace the 28 Amp stator. As long as you don't add a bunch of extra electrical farkles to the bike, it should do you another 100,000 miles.
Yea, shop was quoting 8 hours of work. Eh, I had to get the timing belt done anyway, and hopefully they can swing it as well with the bike apart. Only upgrade I was planning would be an upgraded horn. Besides that, only other two farkles I would be running are GPS and upgraded high/low beams.

Would you go with a new alternator from Honda, or have the shop send it in for remanufacture?

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Would you go with a new alternator from Honda, or have the shop send it in for remanufacture?
Jim Van on here would point you to a shop to rewind it. I don't know what that costs. If your shop knows a reputable rewind shop, it might be an option, BUT, the wiring harness exit point from the stator has been a source of oil leak problems and if the rewind shop can't do a Honda-like re-seal of that, you may have further problems besides the alternator electrical output, as in oil output.

Check out the price of a new stator on Partzilla. It comes with a new o-ring as well, so don't order that if you go new.

Personally, I'd buy new from Honda.

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Personally, I would do the 40 amp upgrade. Labor cost should be about the same. It's a well documented job and there are even videos online showing the process. Get the travelling tool kit from John O and take it to your shop.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The STOC loaner tool kits are for ST1100/1300 owner DIYers, NOT for non-owners, and certainly NOT for individuals/shops that get paid (and are expected to have their own tools for their business). In the spirit of the original ST1100 email listserv, all STOC tool kit loans must be free of charge (except for postage). No one has made a dime on this endeavor in the 15+ years this has been going on.

In the same spirit, the kits are for those who plan to keep and continue to ride their STs after using the tools, NOT turn right around and sell them.

JuST to be clear.

Regards, John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My friend Jim sez the 28amp stator can be rewound. I have yet to see a documented case/example and don't consider this an option... yet and until... JMHO

Eric, where do you live? There may be a number of folks here and on ST-Riders.net that could help you do the upgrade or simple stator R&R, myself included.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I am the current holder of "the kit" and at this point have finished with the specialty tools. I am in the final stage of putting my bike back together. I have the final drive, rear wheel, and fuel tank. Hopefully she cranks up and is in good shape. I am confident she will!

Honestly, it wasn't difficult. All of my bolts and parts came apart very easily and cleanly and with the videos and pictures online... and certain write-ups in the kit the job was really pretty simple.

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
8 hours labor charge plus parts, wow, this could be $1000 out the door. I would roll up my sleaves and take the plunge myself, in my opinion of course. Wish you the best........Rod

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The STOC loaner tool kits are for ST1100/1300 owner DIYers, NOT for non-owners, and certainly NOT for individuals/shops that get paid (and are expected to have their own tools for their business). In the spirit of the original ST1100 email listserv, all STOC tool kit loans must be free of charge (except for postage). No one has made a dime on this endeavor in the 15+ years this has been going on.

In the same spirit, the kits are for those who plan to keep and continue to ride their STs after using the tools, NOT turn right around and sell them.

JuST to be clear.

Regards, John
via iPhone 6
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a protocol for the tool kit. I was just trying to keep another ST1100 on the road. Most service shops, especially "Mom and Pop" shops are not aware that it is possible to do the 28-to-40 Amp upgrade, so some "enlightenment" and assistance might be all that's needed.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Pat, I've experienced (too) many problems loaning tools/kits over the years, which I won't belabor here, but which have forced me to carefully lay out, and revise over time, the loan terms in the "how to borrow" articles. Have a look.

The intent is for the tools to remain in the custody of the loanee who is completely, totally responsible (and accountable!) for all aspects of their use: security, abuse, cleaning, shipping, etc. And if not actually turning the wrench, is present during the work on THEIR ST. Community... self-help... knowledge... confidence... sharing... participating....

I don't believe the simple things that I ask of folks for the free use of what are basically assets of the greater STOC community developed over time by effort and donations/gifts, and for which I help coordinate sharing them, are unreasonable.

John

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
In the "old days", when I was apprenticing, any mechanic worth his salt would generally not loan, or consider asking to borrow tools. Specialty tools were always owned by the dealership and given out from the tool crib, after signing for them. Borrowing tools was frowned upon by most, because in a busy shop, with numerous mechanics, it was easy to lose track of who borrowed what from whom. A mechanic's tools are his livelihood and keeping them in good repair and clean is a priority. Giving loaned tools back covered in greasy marks was a sure way to never be allowed to borrow again. John's guidelines for the tool share programme are spot on and the hive here is lucky to have this resource.

Top Bottom