Decent tires for a reasonable cost.

Bike
2001 ST1100
Hey everyone, I’m a new owner of a 2001 ST1100A. The back tire is pretty thin and needs to be replaced, the front tire is not as bad but close enough to warrant replacing at the same time as the rear. I’m having a hard time finding a matched set in pretty much any brand I look at. I’ve read here that some have no issue mix matching tire brands but even mix matching type -radial and bias ply. Now as an automotive mechanic for too many years all of the above goes against what you should do with a car as it could/would have a detrimental effect on handling and control etc. So I’m struggling a bit with the above logic of the mix matching plus trying to find matched tires in the sizes my bike requires.
Frt. 120/70 ZR 18 (59W). Rear 160/70 ZR 17 (73W)
I’ve been to a few local dealers and the do find these sizes but it seems to take a bit of digging, which leads me to think these tire sizes aren’t too common any more. What brand and tire do you guys recommend? BTW I’m in Alberta, Canada.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Not sure if Dennis Kirk goes to Canada, but they are my first "go to" vender for tires... There are other brand choices too....

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just put in an order through Pete's Superbikes in Montreal. I find the pricing a bit better than Fort Nine. He also emails me personally if I want any special requests.
You can't go wrong with Bridgestones, T30, T31 or T32.
The ST1300 requires the GT version, I'm not sure if it is required on the ST100.
I've always used Bridgestones since I bought my ST in 2009 with zero issues.

I also have the Road 5's on my Speed Triple, and even though they were expensive, the handling and feedback made it worth every penny. This winter I will put a pair on my ST1300. Another option if you are looking to spend less money is the Pirelli Angel ST or GT. I had the ST's on a KTM and thought they decent. The Road 5 is a way better tire though.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
If possible, use a GT version of a rear tire, you might have to go to a 170/60 vs. a 160/7 profile, but that's not an issue. You'll get about 20% better life out of a GT version.

Don't use Avon Storm 3D X-M, lousy tire in general IMHO and the front causes head shake if you're on OEM head bearings, not tapered ones.

I've been purchasing from Pete's in Montreal for years, good prices and good service assuming you have a place to get them installed. Some dealers charge a premium for installing tires you did not purchase from them.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
170/60-17 gives up to much ground clearance on the 1100. STick with the 160/70 bias.
(
I use the Michelin Commander 2. Expensive but makes it up in mileage. I also run a radial 130/70 18 rear tire on the front. Michelin something.

Mixing radial and bias is fine if it works, both cars and bikes. Old myths die hard but they do die eventually. Mix and match what works. 600,00 miles of ST experience here.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
What kind of riding are you going to be doing? A couple tires I tried, for higher miles, made the bike ride like a cattle truck. Longer lasting tires give up some grip to get the higher miles.

I'm using an Avon Storms, 3D X-M and had great results. Good all weather tire and for mileage. They come in the Honda recommended size.

"170/60-17 gives up to much ground clearance on the 1100. STick with the 160/70 bias."

It is easier to drag parts and more difficult to put the bike on the center stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phyer Phyter
Bike
2001 ST1100
won’t messing with tire sizes mess with the ABS and traction control?
ie; stock size on the front and non stock size on the rear?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have T31s on my '01 now, but I bought T32s for replacements. However, I again went with original sizes.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Not sure if Dennis Kirk goes to Canada, but they are my first "go to" vender for tires... There are other brand choices too....
You might want to look at other tire venders. I checked Dennis Kirk for a Bridgestone for my KLR 650. $160.00 I checked Rocky Mountain ATV, and the same tire was $85.00. Chaparral wanted $90.00. I don't look at Dennis Kirk anymore for tires.

OP
OP
Phyer Phyter
Bike
2001 ST1100
Okaaay, thanks for everyone’s input.
I have ordered a T31 tire for the front and a T32 for the rear. Seems like getting OEM sized tires in a matched set for this bike is getting difficult. I have found that for OEM sized tires. - Either there’s no stock for one tire or the other or they don’t make a GT tire for one or the other that size is not available in one or the other or a combination of all 3 scenarios. I spent several hours last night and the night before trying to sort this out going back and forth between several different CDN distributors and brands. I narrowed down to Bridgestone and Michelin but Bridgestone was the closest I could get to a matched set.
I could have got a matched set in Dunlop for about $35 less but no one recommended/suggested them. The guy I talked to said the only tire he would sell all day long was the Michelin Road 5 if he could get stock, otherwise it was Bridgestone. Bridgestone was his personal preference that he uses on the track (said he is a track guy). It seemed a little ironic as he then added that he went down recently on the track not because of his tire but due to oil on the track.

Thanks again for everyone’s input, it is appreciated. There is a ton of information to find and to learn from here. I know I’m going to spend a lot of time here.

Top Bottom