Delkevic exhaust

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
have to wind her all the way out and still notice an "underpowered" feeling.
Sounds like something else is inhibiting your 2016. I remember when I installed my Del's on a 2004. It definitely produced a torque increase in the mid-range,,, maybe 4 ft/lbs,,, which helped smooth out the sag in torque curve. I kept the long style baffles in,,, and did not switch to a K&N (even though I own one). I had a bit of re-burn (popping),, but not much. So the weight decrease and added torx provided a very useable increase,,, but not "huge". Comparing my 2004 to my newer 2012, it appears that the 2012 runs a good bit leaner,, for improved emissions and fuel economy. Del's would tend lean out the 2012 even more,,, resulting in more re-burn, and possibly surging. What is the mileage on your 2016,,, and have you done a compression test ?? I trust the 5-way is clear,,, and a TBS was done at some point ?? I have a suggestion to make,,, but would like to hear your answers first. A 2016 should definitely not feel under-powered. I will also read the prior posts in this thread,,, after dinner,,,, cheers,, CAt'

honda_st1300_2014.jpg

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Sounds like something else is inhibiting your 2016. I remember when I installed my Del's on a 2004. It definitely produced a torque increase in the mid-range,,, maybe 4 ft/lbs,,, which helped smooth out the sag in torque curve. I kept the long style baffles in,,, and did not switch to a K&N (even though I own one). I had a bit of re-burn (popping),, but not much. So the weight decrease and added torx provided a very useable increase,,, but not "huge". Comparing my 2004 to my newer 2012, it appears that the 2012 runs a good bit leaner,, for improved emissions and fuel economy. Del's would tend lean out the 2012 even more,,, resulting in more re-burn, and possibly surging. What is the mileage on your 2016,,, and have you done a compression test ?? I trust the 5-way is clear,,, and a TBS was done at some point ?? I have a suggestion to make,,, but would like to hear your answers first. A 2016 should definitely not feel under-powered. I will also read the prior posts in this thread,,, after dinner,,,, cheers,, CAt'

honda_st1300_2014.jpg
I doesn't feel inhibited, just making me redline it, never was like that before, normally I would feel the pull above 5k. I may have been feeling a little Rossi that day, 20k plus miles on her this year, it just felt different. TBS? I trust the 5 way is clear too, no compression test, normally ride spirited, not blow the plugs out. I have her apart for "winterizing", will be checking most things. Anything else specific I should look at while she is apart?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I don't recall the foam. Will check it out.
My K&N did not have a pre-filter foam ring on it. Also,,, I did not install the K&N,,, even though I have a lot of experience with them on other vehicles,,, as they don't filter well enough for my area. Also,,, I don't think the st13 benefits much from them,, as the oem style filters flow well enough for most all of the useful torque range, imho. What is your 2016's mileage ?? Check your compression,,, and 5-way,, and do a TBS (Throttle Body Sync),, over the winter. Do your plugs indicate lean running ?? I am wondering if your afr (Air/Fuel Ratio) is running higher than the typical performance range (13.0/13.2). All food for thought,,, CAt'

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
My K&N did not have a pre-filter foam ring on it. Also,,, I did not install the K&N,,, even though I have a lot of experience with them on other vehicles,,, as they don't filter well enough for my area. Also,,, I don't think the st13 benefits much from them,, as the oem style filters flow well enough for most all of the useful torque range, imho. What is your 2016's mileage ?? Check your compression,,, and 5-way,, and do a TBS (Throttle Body Sync),, over the winter. Do your plugs indicate lean running ?? I am wondering if your afr (Air/Fuel Ratio) is running higher than the typical performance range (13.0/13.2). All food for thought,,, CAt'
There’s 24k miles on it. I’m doing the 24k service. Filter is good, plugs…
29242749-BF5D-42CB-8C59-5097837DEFF8.jpeg

Over the next day or so I’ll be doing the rest, take it out, run it hard, we’ll see. Cheers.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
check the gap on the two center plugs. then replace all four with new gap checked plugs.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I agree a little sound wouldn't hurt the singer sewing machine, I only heard these pipes [Delkevic] on the internet; they sounded good to me with the baffles, provide a little audible to the rpm and remind you what gear you've been coasting along in.

Bike
2005 st1300
Left to right 1,2,3,4
Okay. I was trying to see if there was a common link between those two center plugs, like a common ignition coil, but I guess none that I can think of. You can try new plugs, but I suspect there is something else going on here. Number 2 and 3 are running really rich, especially compared to 1 and 4. If it were me, I would be looking under the intake air box and doing a starter valve sync and cleaning the 5-way tee at the least. Does the bike take a bit of cranking to start after sitting for a while or run rough for the first few seconds?

Last edited:
Top Bottom