Demo ride GL 1800 DCT and GL 1800 6 speed manual

I demoed a red DCT Tour in Feb. 2018. I pulled out and headed for some twisty roads on the northside of town but began thinking about showing it to my wife because I would need her to buy-in if things progressed. I sort of reluctantly went home because I wouldn't have time to do both. Brenda got on the back and we took a ride around the neighborhood. She really liked it and asked if I was going to buy it. I said of course not, it cost more than most of the cars we had bought, it was just a demo ride to experience the new GW. That night at dinner she brought up how much she liked it and brought it up again a few days later. By then I realized this her way of saying that it would be OK if I bought it which was a first for us......... our history was usually me trying to justify why I was looking at buying another motorcycle and her saying why I didn't need another motorcycle.
Honda, long ago realized that they were going to have to make the rear passenger really really comfortable ( That's usually the wife) if they wanted to sell an expensive bike. Yep, she bought into it and gave you the go ahead to buy it without actually saying it.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
52 MPG average on the DCT for fuel mileage, that is impressive! I get an average of 42 to 48 at highway speeds on my '03 GW. I have gotten 50 MPG at slower speeds. I get about the same mileage on my ST13. ST has more range, but I am usually ready for a stop and stretch at 200 or so miles anyway. That's where I gas up on both bikes. With a 5.5 gallon tank, and much better gearing than either bike, I can see no reason why one couldn't get 200 miles out of the new Goldwing.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Slab is where you get your best mpg (non-stop riding). I can easily get 490 km out of my ST13 on the slab at 120 km/hr. What do you get on the slab at around 115 - 120 km/hr
I get way better mpg while riding back roads at 50 mph (80 kph) compared to highway 75 mph (120 kph) speed. I'm talking 50 mpg compared to 44 mpg here, so a real difference

Bike
04 ST1300
I get way better mpg while riding back roads at 50 mph (80 kph) compared to highway 75 mph (120 kph) speed. I'm talking 50 mpg compared to 44 mpg here, so a real difference
Technically you are correct. Provided the back road has no stops. But you are also covering less distance or using more time. If I am heading from Illinois to seattle a more practical route would be on the slab (atleast for me). Not a fan of back roads.

gh1

Bike
GL1800D
...I can see no reason why one couldn't get 200 miles out of the new Goldwing.
Naturally, everyone's mileage varies. That said, after 16,000 miles on my 2018 Tour DCT I plan my fuel stops for 240-260 miles without being concerned about fuel exhaustion. The distance remaining computation has been pretty accurate on my bike. I've ridden down to the dashes without running dry. I do tend to avoid interstate highways whenever possible, so I'm not pounding out miles at the speed of heat. It also stays in TOUR mode, partly because I forget that it has other modes, and mainly because I want a consistent throttle response rather than having to adapt to a different throttle rate.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
The typical range of most bikes these days are 180 to 220.. which is reasonable. It's tough when you come from an ST or GS Adv or Stelvio w/huge tanks but just takes some getting used to. A DCT wing will probably be my next bike... if I can ever wipe the Tracer 900 smile off my face.. lol
Good point. The ST has better than average range, by a long shot. But, unless you're doing most of your riding along, you'll be stopping so others can fill their tank. Might as well fill yours to. With that said, the range of the new Wing works for me.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I tested a 2018 6 speed when they came out looking for a replacement for my ST 1300. For me the GW was still too big, too heavy and not sporty enough ergos. I can understand why guys like them, but I didn't like it enough to buy one. Bought a 2018 FJR instead and saved 150 pounds (or 200 pounds over a GW tour), and 10 grand which I'll use for gas and tires and hotel rooms. I get 53 mpg using regular grade gas on the FJR and it has a 6.6 gallon tank so a 300 mile range is possible. Comfy as a wing? Probably not. Comfy enough? For me it is.

BTW just spent a week touring with my son on a Yamaha MT 10. I filled up every other time he filled up lol.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Test rode the DCT at Daytona bike week last year. The mistake was having wifey with me. She never shut up about wanting one. She would text me which dealer had what and how much. Finally gave in and it will be a year old next week. White DCT Tour.

I didn't think I would like the DCT but love it. Wife always says she never gets tired of the growl when we accelerate. It does have a nice tone.

Yes there is a button to find Dairy Queens. Actually it takes a few button pushes.

I don't reach for the clutch any longer, however I have a Tiger that I don't ride much any more and I do reach for the downshift button on it.:oops:

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Technically you are correct. Provided the back road has no stops. But you are also covering less distance or using more time. If I am heading from Illinois to seattle a more practical route would be on the slab (atleast for me). Not a fan of back roads.
Of course I use the interstates when travelling for distance (I need to go somewhere as fast as possible), but on those weekend joy-rides where all I want is 6 hours of riding (don't care where I go), I'll always pick smaller roads with lots of curves and hills. There are plenty of stop signs, traffic lights, coffee shops etc. and I'll still get way better mpg than I see on the freeway. A matter of physics really - not sure I understand the "technically you are correct" statement :)

Top Bottom