Denali D3 color change

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I have a set of D3's. Ordered the yellow lenses, but changing from clear to yellow is a pain and time consuming. You must remove 4 screws from the back of the light, remove the bezel, change the lens, reinstall the 4 screws x 2 lights. Clearwater has a boot that holds what ever color lens you want and then just slips over the housing. Like 5 seconds. My brother has a set with yellow. You can see him in your mirror very well with those yellow eyes behind you. In the same amount of time to install you can remove and be back to white for night driving. As well as his bike stands out in the mirror, I have to believe he stands out to cars also.

Denali now offers a boot to cover the D3's. I ordered 3.5" yellow lenses from here. You will need to remove a bezel for a template to cut the boot. Insert the ring into the boot with the outer face away from the rubber you are going to cut out. Take a very sharp knife, an Exacto knife worked very well, and follow the inside edge of the bezel to cut a nice round opening. Now insert a colored lens of your choice into the boot and slide the boot over your light.

Being seen is the main reason for adding the D3's. Based on how noticeable the yellow is, I thought, why not.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Being seen is the main reason for adding the D3's. Based on how noticeable the yellow is, I thought, why not.
This. Every now and then I see cars and less commonly bikes with yellow dedicated conspicuity lights instead or in addition to amber and white. Yellow is far more distinctive. If everybody used yellow instead of amber or white some of that distinctiveness would be lost. Until then... Yellow is the color of my ST's lights... Well that's the plan anyway.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Quite a few of us brought these lights. They are inexpensive ($35 Cdn) and have both a white and yellow option built in. (They have 2 LED's in them)

1673790449481.png

They are obviously not the same as Denali's, but the yellow is very bright!

Here's the thread discussing them: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/auxiliary-driving-lights.180065/

Last edited:
Top Bottom