Did I put on the wrong spring????

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I am in the process of replacing the springs on my ST1300. I replaced the front springs with 1.2kg/67lb. sonic springs and have set sag at 30.2mm. This number stays the same with, are without my weight on the bike. I weight 175 lbs. with no gear on.

On the rear I installed a Racetech 21.4kg/1200lb. spring and set rider sag at 31.75 with 13 complete revolutions of the preload knob, and I have refilled the oil in the preload. My free sag on the rear is 15.9mm after setting the rider sag. According to Racetech's information included with the spring, and which is the same information found in Lee Parks book, this spring is too soft.

I am concerned about the front not really changing with my weight, and the rear seems to change to much. I went with the 1200lb. rear spring based on Racetechs chart and information posted by some of you that have already made this change.

I know the the setup is more based on want I find comfortable, but I need to start out close as I am NO suspension expert.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yeah, I plan on doing that. I am trying to gather a little insight from those that have already done this upgrade. Hopefully then I will have a better understanding about what works.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't understand how rider sag and free sag can remain the same especially with rider sag at 30mm. At 175 lbs you are about 1/4 of the weight of the bike/rider combination. Possible damage to the forks resulting is so much stiction the forks do not compress less without the weight of rider? What is the difference between your L2 and L3 measurements?

From what I understand, +/- 16mm of free sag indicates a rear spring that is too hard, not too soft. This is because too little preload was required to set rider sag so when you get off the bike it settles more than 10 mm without your weight. Free sag should be between 5 and 10mm.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
After reading your reply and re-reading the information that came with the spring, you are correct. The spring is too stiff, but I will keep it as I do ride two up at times and the firmer spring will help then. I was getting confused by how much preload I had to dial in to get the correct rider sag. I think the spacer they sell you with the spring needs to be a little thicker.

I least now I won't call them and sound like an idiot.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom