Did something dumb today

All these stories of forgetting to put the drain plug in before filling the crankcase makes the same error by a kid at Jiffy Lube more understandable. It doesn't excuse letting the customer drive off w/ no oil, but these guys are as human as we are.

That's why I don't go to Jiffy.

Last time I went to the Honda dealer for my car, there was only one quart missing. Much safer!

Oh...! Mellow is just serving me an add on ST-Owners that says "Naughty Pics Caught on Drone". Better go and screw that drain plug back in before I click on that!

... I play with smaller amounts ...

mid 90ies, I'm prepping my '92 ST for a fork oil change, loosen the drain bolt and... pooof!... stinking blackish goo e v e r y w h e r e ... yep, forgot to loosen the fork caps firST... :rofl1:
Needed 2 cans of brake cleaner to tidy the place up again... :biggrin:

My brother in law decades ago cooked his Toyota Celica engine as he installed the new oil filter with the old gasket in place- 2 gaskets = a substantial leak and he had a seized engine as well. I felt really bad for him then- it taught me to always check that the gasket is on the old filter or at least to visually check the filter mating surface.

Also, on my 2000 ST, I used a torque wrench to tighten the drain bolt but noted it more easily spun without tightening (I previously had the dealership do the service so it’s possible they overtorqued it in the past- that was when I only had the bike a couple of years- hasn’t been back to the dealer since then). I tried one of those expanding drain plugs and that failed as well. That required a Helicoil at $80 but it was way cheaper than a new oil pan and it is fine to this day.

I rounded off my drink plug today. No big issue.....I'll hop on my other bike and pick up a new drain bolt and crush washer at local Honda dealer..... To my surprise... Not in stock, but can order one! I'm sure same drain bolt fits numerous bikes. So I went across the street and bought one at auto parts place. My question to you knowledgeable folks is,..... My new one is a bit longer... Is that ok?

Attachments

• 20230705_133319.jpg
    20230705_133319.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 22
I rounded off my drink plug today. No big issue.....I'll hop on my other bike and pick up a new drain bolt and crush washer at local Honda dealer..... To my surprise... Not in stock, but can order one! I'm sure same drain bolt fits numerous bikes. So I went across the street and bought one at auto parts place. My question to you knowledgeable folks is,..... My new one is a bit longer... Is that ok?
Stick your finger in the hole as far as the new plug is long, remove, rotate the engine, repeat. If you feel anything, the answer is wait on the new one.
Please, don't rotate the crank with your finger still in the hole.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo
I try to do at least one dumb thing each day.. and I try to do that early so I get it out of the way, much less stress than sitting there waiting for it.

Maybe just cut off excess length with an angle grinder- - using a zip cut wheel.Put a nice taper on end with a grinder disc.

If you wondered how the drain plug seats in the pan. I’d be really careful if you rounded off that bolt - the internal threads could be damaged. Just replaced a pan ( not mine) that had been over torqued - if that after market plug is not exact thread …. Well you get the idea
IMG_4758.jpeg

Thread on the replacement"car" drain bolt is exactly the same. It turned in easily with my fingers. My concern was whether there were any mystery bits in the base pan that a longer bolt would cause grief.

When I do oil changes, after I have the oil warmed up, I always pull the key out and put it on the other side of the garage and hit the kill switch. I’m always worried that once I drain the oil (and before I put in the new oil) I’ll get distracted and start the bike for some stupid reason.

Top Bottom